Questions - Touched as aChild

iVillage Member
Questions - Touched as aChild
Thu, 09-24-2009 - 12:53am

When I was young, maybe elementary school age, I was in a drugstore with my family and was left alone for a minute on one of the aisles. A man walked past me and just barely grazed my bottom with his finger or hand. I remember looking after him as he kept on walking. He never turned around or acknowledged me in any way. I thought maybe it was an accident and forgot about it.

A minute later it happened again. Again, no acknowledgement - just like it was an "accident".

This time I went and told my mother. She believed me and told me to stay close to her and that was the end of it.

I guess I have 2 questions.

1. To this day there are certain areas on my bottom I cannot stand to be touched and I wonder if my body is still reacting to the invasion.

2. If I ever see this happen to my child or another is there anything more you can do than remove the child from the situation and call store security?

Thanks for your input!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 8:27pm

If being touched in a particular way is

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 1:10pm
Photobucket

Hello turtle-mom welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-26-2009 - 11:21pm

As for question number 2, my advice is to call the police. The police have the interests of the child at heart. Store security, in my opinion and in my experience, have the interests of the store at heart and don't want to "cause a scene" so they want to hush things up. I'd call 911, watch the person who did it so you know where he/she goes (if the person is leaving), stay on the phone with the police if you have to follow the person (from a safe distance--I'm not advising you follow the person home or anything crazy, just keep an eye on him/her while the person is in the area), and let the police know EXACTLY what happens. If one police officer downplays it and treats you as if it's silly, ask for another officer or supervisor. Chances are if someone is doing this to a child in public then he has done it elsewhere and gotten away with it. At least by reporting it you can put this person on alert to the police. You never know, they may already have other incidents on file and just needed more evidence to charge the person with a crime.

Allie