Oprah show ***trigger warning***

iVillage Member
Oprah show ***trigger warning***
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 2:02am

Did any of you see the Oprah show on sexual abuse last week? I watched part of it and couldn't take any more of it and had to shut it off. Upset me so much I called my group therapist sobbing the next day about SA issues, something I don't talk much about in therapy any more these days.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 12:39am
Allie, I can see why you were so upset about the show.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 4:39pm

Thanks for answering Brenda. I appreciate that you've thought of me. Same to you and I hope you're doing well (((((Brenda)))))

The answer left me feeling depressed. Is that how the whole world sees us--SA victims--as people who went along with it and consented? Or is it just how SA victims see themselves? I find it terribly depressing and really struggling with this.

Allie

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 3:43am

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I also can see why you would be upset by that.

My counselor and I just had a discussion about parts of

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 9:55am

Sorry, had to edit, I couldn't leave my story up there, it exposed too much of me and I had to change this post. Thanks to all of you caring friends who responded, I just can't do this, I can't share this much.

Edited 10/25/2009 6:20 pm ET by babydance98
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 8:23pm

It's not your fault, even at 23.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 7:23pm
Abuse of any kind by someone else is NEVER EVER your fault.
Community Leader
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 9:27pm

~hugs~

***This might be "triggering" for some.***

It was not nor ever "consensual"...I understand your anger and your pain.
I was very upset myself.
This happened to me when I was seven until almost ten and I stopped it by not giving that person an opportunity to be ALONE with me.
This was not our fault and like you said we were children they were the "adults" and knew without a shadow of a doubt it was wrong.
What I hate is why everyone assumes if you tell everything will be alright...kwim?
My experience was that if I told he said it would "kill" two people who meant everything to me.
Now looking back I don't know if he meant it literally or not but I was a kid...so I took it to be literal.
It was never consensual and I knew it wasn't right and can still remember how scared I was and how it has affected me to this day.
We need to put the responsibility and the accountability where it belongs and that is not the person who was or is being abused it is the "abuser"...the worse part I feel was just that feeling so "ALONE" and now that I am an adult woman feeling empowered because he can no longer hurt me.
Sorry if this causes any triggers for anyone I just had to vent.
I am tired of the victim label to...I am a "SURVIVOUR". Dr. Phil used it to and it really "bugged" me and I got really angry.
<3

Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 2:50am

(((Allie)))) I'm so sorry that Oprah show upset you so much. I think a lot more (air) time and attention has been placed on this errorrous "point of view" since that yahoo of a hollywood film director has been re-arrested in Swizerland. At least that's my personal observation.

Honestly, I feel sorry for these (young?) women. Their heads must be so twisted and confused from their perps they honestly don't recognize the fact that they were abused/raped, etc. They are still victims

Alisa

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 2:10pm
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 2:12pm
******May Trigger************

Pages