A question for everyone............

iVillage Member
A question for everyone............
Tue, 11-17-2009 - 7:18pm

No one has to answer but I'm curious as to what everyone might say.

If you were invited on a national TV talk show to discuss sexual abuse, would you go?

Why or why not?

Jenny

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 5:59pm
Yes it is way past time that this is out in the open and not hidden or stuck in the closet or ignored any longer.
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 11:16pm
If only all of lifes questions were that easily resolved :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 1:40pm

Thanks...I hadn't thought about that. There are no police reports as there were more perpetrators than not in my mother's family. And a recent email from my oldest brother seems to implicate the family doctor in some of the abuse.

Composites it is!

gentle hugs..........Jenny

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 12:16am

Jenny,

My 2 cents.

If there are public records like police reports.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 12:29pm

Thank you...all of you...and I mean it sincerely. I did do this and lived to regret it but would probably do it over again if asked. I am committed to trying to do something.

But I am also writing a book and some of my abusers have passed on and some haven't and some are family. You can't include some and not others so it has become VERY hard to decide how to handle it. Do I tell the truth straight out or do I cobble together some of the personalities to make a composite unrecognizable person? It comes down to who do I hurt and who do I not.

I hate hurting anyone but I am not adverse to challenging anyone. That is why I sometimes challenge everyone here to think about where they stand. Challenges make us grow.

Allie and Lucky...I'm with you...I'd want to protect certain people as well. You are right to protect those close to who either didn't hurt you or did but peripherally. What good would come of it? Why hurt those who don't need to be hurt? We know what it's like to be hurt, don't we?

Healingjourney....you are so smart and I can't thank you enough for the articles on Munchausen but you are so scared of revealing your own pain. I'm sorry...(((HUGS))).

Opal 45..............YOU ARE AMAZING! Hero, girlfriend, hero! Don't know if I'd have the guts anymore.

Thanks everyone...............Jenny

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 9:13am

Would I talk about my own experiences?

LUCKY

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 12:42am

Jenny,

Maybe I'm being to literal but it is one thing to talk about sexual abuse in a general sense and another to talk about one's own experiences.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-17-2009 - 11:05pm

At this point in my life, no, and ONLY because it would embarrass my parents. If my parents were deceased I'd have no problem doing it. I've come to the point where I want to heal, but if my parents (who weren't my abusers, but should have protected me and still SHOULD support me yet ignore it) choose to live in ignorant bliss, I think that's their right. If I could tell my story without using my real name and tons of makeup artist work to alter my appearance, then I would also do it.

Please don't chastise me for choosing to protect my parents, whom I know don't deserve it. I've just decided that they're entitled to deal with this in their own way, and if not dealing with it is their way, so be it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-17-2009 - 10:34pm
Yes, in fact, RAINN had me tentatively
**gentle hugs**