Sinus Headaches

iVillage Member
Sinus Headaches
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:55pm
Hi I am looking for info about Holistic or Alternative medicine for sinus surgery. I have been advised by two different doctors that I am going to eventually need sinus surgery in order to drain and clean out infection. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with chirpractic or alternative medicine? Surgery is a last resort - I am willing to try anything before surgery.

Please post back or email me at bytheseain03@netscape.net with any info.

Thanks

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 9:29pm
Hi stuckcitygirl,

I can understand why you're looking for alternatives. We've had others here that have had successful surgeries and some have not been that great. I opted out of septoplasty a couple of years ago after doing some checking on it.

I wonder if our Alternative Health board could help:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhgenalt

I just went there and see that you posted there also and got some replies. I hope they help some.

There are several links on that board to alternatives including:

http://www.ivillage.com/topics/health/0,10707,165884,00.html

Let us know if you find something that works.

Calley7

Calley7

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 7:47am
I agree with Calley, I've heard both good and bad things about sinus surgery. My dad had it done over 60 years ago (drained through his gumline) and went for almost 50 years without taking any meds for allergies afterwards. Do you suffer from allergies that are causing the recurrent infections or is it a structural problem? If it's allergies, there are lots of meds out there that would prevent the inflammation and subsequent infection. There are lots of modifications you can do to your indoor environment too since we spend almost 23 hours indoors everyday. If you haven't been to an allergist, I would make an appt with one for a second opinion. I haven't tried any alternative meds personally. My husband had a different type of nasal surgery done for a structural problem and he is doing much better too now. I'm with you though, I would try anything before having surgery:)

Let us know how you make out.

Hugs!

Jane

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 11:20pm
Just thought I'd toss in my two-cents' worth. I had a septoplasty/endoscopic sinus surgery/turbinectomy in July. I was a big crybaby too - my first surgery ever, and I nearly became hysterical cuz I was SO frightened! But it was truly the best thing I've ever done for myself; it changed my life. Sounds cheezy but I'm totally sincere. I had awful sinus pain, and nothing really helped. I was self-medicating, taking aspirin, tylenol sinus, sudafed, nose sprays every day - really desparate attempts to avoid surgery. About a month or so after the surgery, I realized what a difference it had made.

Prior to surgery, I found that my doctors had numerous suggestions for allergy/hayfever sufferers - but not many suggestions for those of us who went past the allergies and went on to develop chronic sinusitis. There do seem to be some alternative methods to alleviating allergies; my sister's hayfever symptoms were alleviated 30-40% after she started seeing a nutritionist/Chinese herbologist. Sounds crazy, but hey it worked for her. If your sinus troubles only start up after a bad allergy attack then maybe targetting the allergy symptoms will cut back on the sinus infections.

But sometimes the sinuses are so messed up - swollen/misshapen - that they are problematic regardless of whether your allergies are acting up. And nobody should have to deal with that deadening face-ache. It's miserable, I remember struggling with it 4 or even 5 days out of the week. So good luck, please keep searching, but don't rule out surgery altogether. In my case the surgery was completely covered by insurance. Every dime!

Feel free to email me at whelandl@aii.edu if you want any more info about the surgery. While I applaud your efforts to heal yourself the natural way, I hate to think you're suffering in the meantime.

take care!

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2003 - 3:55am
I'm sorry your at that point with your sinuses. There are herbs that help sinus problems, things like acupressure. Goldenseal I've read in many books/articles can

sometimes wipe out an infection and may be more effective than antibiotics. Good luck,

hope you can find some suitable options.