Where to go for help? Negative feelings

iVillage Member
Where to go for help? Negative feelings
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:32am
I'm not sure where to go to help me with the feelings I've been having. I have 3 wonderful young children but outside of them, I am full of negativity & I can't stand myself any more. Because I can't seem to be happy for anyone or anything, I have withdrawn from my family & friends. I feel like I just cant say anything good about anything. I don't know where this is coming from, bordome, stress, self esteem? Where can I go for help in this? My DH has truly awful insurance so I want to find an option that won't cost me a lot of money out of pocket. His insurance won't pay a counselor at all. Do I need a counselor or should I look elsewhere for help? I work part time but don't have benefits, can I still use the company EAP? Is that a good place to me to go? Any suggestions will be great.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 12:29am
Welcome love...

I have used an Employee Assistant Program (EAP) in the past. It's a better approach than the yellow pages as they only use certifed professionals (therapists, psychologists) so that takes one problem out of your hands. EAP also will find a person with experience or that matches what you are looking for. If you would prefer a woman or a man, for example, or someone that is close to where you live or work. I'm not sure if the service varies from state or country and the only way to find out if you qualify is to call them and ask? The biggest drawback that I found was that they only allowed 5, 1 hr sessions per year.

Here is a good checklist for depression love...

http://www.pao.gov.ab.ca/health/eap/tests/depression-checklist.htm

Something else to consider is talking to your family doctor and asking for a full physical to rule out any physiological cause for your feelings.

Some family doctors are also trained in psychotherapy which is another option for you to search out. I hope your situation gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

Good luck & take care

Judy

Edited 4/8/2003 12:31:55 AM ET by serene02