Supplements?

iVillage Member
Supplements?
Wed, 11-05-2003 - 2:35pm
I need help desperately. I have been married for a year and a half, I am a CL on another board, I work fulltime in an incredibly stressful job and my husband is a pastor which means I have virtually NO downtime because we have our own church.

I have always needed a lot of quiet time to myself and I have gone from tons of time to myself to virtually none. My job is stressful not because of the work load but because I have absolutely nothing to do right now - I'm not kidding. My supervisor knows but is not really talking about it but also has nothing to give me. I am afraid to approach the subject because I am the breadwinner in the family and while I may hate my job I can't afford to be lose it either.

In July I had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis, adenomyosis, polycystic ovaries, and submucous fibroids. I am only 37. I have one ovary left, but my hormones were out of balance before the surgery and they still are not balanced. My progesterone is too low causing an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone which leads to hormonal swings throughout the month and 7 to 10 days of PMS with horrible bloating, water retention, lower back aches, and abdominal distention. I am a recovering anorexic/bulimic so the water retention and abdominal distention for more than a day is enough to frustrate me. Add to that the back aches, teh job I hate, laundry, 2 dogs, a house, dishes, etc. and I am at the end.

It's a viscious cycle because if my cortisol is too high due to stress (just had blood drawn to find out) then my other hormones will be out of balance. I am using natural progesterone cream for the PMS but it's not doing much for me anymore - it used to before all this stress. Elevated levels of cortisol will block progesterone from it's receptors causing more hormonal imbalance.

While I know that I need to reduce my stress level, and I am going to talk to my husband about that tonight, I was wondering if anybody has tried Kava Kava or CortiSlim (www.cortislim.com)? I am hoping there is something I can take that will lower my cortisol while I work on relaxing a bit more. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drummer's Chick

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 12:18am
I have used this particular line of vitamins for 22 years and I heartily recommend them. But let me give you the email address of the lady who could answer your questions better than I. rkingle@comcast.net (her name is Rosalie-she will be expecting your email) She is a good friend of mine and will steer your on the straight course. Here is a list of questions that the FTC and FDA has provided consumers to use when evaluating any company's products concerning health.

"Tips for Consumers"

Evaluating Supplement Companies

The FTC, the FDA, and other sister agencies have compiled a list of

valuable and reliable sources of health information for consumers. The FTC

Web site at www.ftc.gov/cureall, and the FDA Web site at www.fda.gov,

provides direct links to these sources of information.

Consumers are encouraged to visit these Web sites when searching for health

information and ask the following questions before deciding whether to

purchase a health-related product:

* What is the product?

* What is the evidence that this product will do whatever the product

purports to do (e.g., counteract the disease or medical condition being

relieved; lead to better results than conventional treatment?)

* Have results from studies of this product been published in any

peer-reviewed medical journals? Can I have copies of the publications or

references to these publications?

* What are the training and credentials of the provider?

* Is the provider willing to communicate with my primary care physician

and/or my health insurance company?

www.fda.gov

www.ftc.gov

Additional questions I would ask any company-just got a response from Kraft-would be: Are there any medical journal citations of studies of the products available? Not just the ingredients. Kraft said this was "confidential".

Who does the studies? Are they published in reputable medical journals?

How quickly do the products breakdown in water?

How many research scientists on staff that have PhD's?

Are your products guaranteed to the consumers satisfaction?

Are the products loaded with useless or insignificant amounts of nutrients just to make the label "look good"?

Is there balance in the nutrient levels--relative to the DV not the physical quantity?

Is there 100% of the DV of Biotin?

Are calcium and phosporous in the proper ratio?

Well, that is probably too much but I do get excited when I hear someone wanting to improve her health. I have had some "potholes" on my road and this line of products has had a tremendous benefit for me.

Sharper A fellow Christian

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 2:20pm
Dear Drummers Chick: Please let me help you. I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes the medical problems mount up so much that you feel the doctors just can’t help any more. Possibly you don’t need more medications - - maybe you need to feed your body what it wants and needs to become healthy. Does that sound like you? Are you ready to give your body what it needs and wants to become healthy?

If so, I would truly like to talk with you. I have found a line of products that has helped me build my body for over 32 years. Maybe it can help you too. If we can lower the stress level in your body, you will be surprised how many of your other problems can lessen too.

NO KAVA KAVA!! It is too dangerous!! Go to the FDA website at http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/addskava.html for an explanation of why kava kava is so dangerous.

First of all, let's understand what happens with chronic stress. The heart speeds up, the blood pressure goes up, blood sugar goes up (causing cholesterol and triglycerides problems). Blood vessels to the skin, digestive tract and other organs constrict; blood gets thicker and clots more easily. High levels of CORTISOL are released from the adrenal cortex which cannibalize various organs, depress the immune system and causes the brain function to slow down. Not a pretty picture.

The product I am suggesting to you contains four key ingredients: two amino acids: L-theanine and L-Tyrosine, and Ashwagandha (an herb), and Beta-Sitosterol (a plant sterol). Together they decrease the production of CORTSOL; increase the "alpha waves" in the brain which promotes relaxation, but makes you more alert at the same time; enhance memory and retention and increases physical performance; aid with stress-related insomnia.

Best of all, results to your satisfaction are guaranteed - or you get your money back.

Is this what you would like to accomplish? If so, talk to me. My personal email address is GrandmaRosalie@comcast.net.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 2:24am
Hi drummmerchick,
Sure does sound like you have lots going on right now with you.
I also see others have suggested some ideas that may or may not work for you ..
Let me suggest you speak with your doctor and see what they may say ..
As much as we all find things that work for us .. may not work for another.
So give your doctor a call .. see if their is a nurse there you could speak with ..
Share with her what's going on and then see what she has to say ..
HTH
Let us know what you find out and what you decide :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 8:41pm

I totally agree with ivhhugs! Please talk about this with your doctor first. YieldThings that work well for others may not be right for you! Please know that even herbal remedies must be treated as a real medication, because you can have real side-effects from them, plus they are not regulated by the FDA, and that could be scary!

Get some books and read up on the subject, but before taking anything, make sure it's ok with your doctor first!! In case you didn't know, iVillage carries a line of vitamins and supplements. I take some of them myself. Maybe you'll see something that interests you. Here's the link to the Market: http://shop.ivillage.com/category_sub.aspx?page=3&category_name=health_homeopathy

Best of luck to you.Clover 2 Please feel free to post any time!

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-19-2003 - 7:40pm
Consulting an MD on nutrition is like asking a plumber how to wire your house. The amount of nutrtitional education they get in med school is what we learned in elementary school-4 basic food groups. And that is a paraphrase from more than 1 md. They will admit little but if you are in a non threatening location or outside the office some will admit that there is little education in the US med schools about how the body uses and absorbs food supplements. The differences between artificial(inorganic)/typical health food store/grocery store/on line brands and food or food concentrates which there are very few companies that make food concentrates in tablet form that actually get peer-reviewed, published articles in medical journals. Just ask the personal md what the "mainline" companies do for research publication. Little or none on the products-not required. And if you think the meds are safe because of the FDA regulation you have not been reading the better newspapers and public TV stations lately.

The Tips for Consumers suggestion still stands-do the research yourself don't place your personal health on the shoulder of someone else. A quick and easy test for any supplement is the glass of water disssolution test. Does it dissolve in water with in 30 mintues? Any brand should pass that test first.

Last comment on MD's. I love them for their specialities-medicine, disease, body parts, surgery and the interaction of them all. But when it comes to food they are usually out in left field. They certainly don't get the education in the med schools.

If you must go to a "practicing professional" use a nutritionist not an md.

sharper51

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2003 - 12:39am
Hi Sharper,
While I definitely agree with some of what you said .. making sure you know what you are taking is most important.
Usually at one's doctor's office there is a nurse who could be asked as well ..
Asking a nutritionist is another great idea too!
Thanks so much for your input :)

Click & Join the fun!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-21-2003 - 8:58pm
Well agreement. hmm I would ask the same questions of the iVillage line of products: Where are they made? Were the products and ingredients tested for safety? Were the products reviewed by a medical journal staff (expert in the field of the study)? If they were reviewed then there would be an article. If there are no medical journal articles publishing these studies and finding the methodology as scientifically correct then the results/claims of the manfacturer would have little scientific validity, right? Have the products AND the raw materials been tested for bioavability and efficacy? Basically is it safe and does it fulfill its claims? Does the distribution method promote hype/instant results or long term benefits?

The easiest test I have heard in the first step is dissolution in water.

Does it breakdown in water-if so how long?

Sharper51

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-22-2003 - 12:02am

Hi Sharper,
These are all excellent questions!
This is where that *nutritionist* sure would come in handy ..
Also our very own *Ask the iVillageHealth Librarian* could help as well here ..

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhintro

Have a great weekend :)

Click & Join the fun!