Please help! Need suggestions!

iVillage Member
Please help! Need suggestions!
Thu, 11-06-2003 - 12:35pm
This is my first post on the boards, but I'm hoping that someone here can help me.

My mother has always had problems with stress, as many mothers do have. But lately it seems to be getting worse. She takes it out on both of my younger sisters and her husband (my stepfather). Her stress leads to explosions of anger which usually result in her flinging curse words around and telling everyone she hates this family and wants to drive off a bridge.

She also has problems with letting my stepfather discipline their 3 year old daughter. My mother can spank her, but he can't. She sets all the rules for her and he has no say in the matter. It seems that nothing he does it acceptable to her. Nothing.

My husband and I were thinking of suggesting that she seek professional help. Not to get on drugs or anything, but just someone to talk to. Some kind of therapy. The problem with that is that they are not doing well enough financialy to pay $100 a visit for a therapist.

So my question is: Does anyone know of any kind of program that we could contact that would help my mother without costing an arm and a leg.

Thanks, in advance.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-10-2003 - 8:03pm

Hi Trippinpenguin,

This is just a suggestion but has your mom had any physicals lately?

Calley7

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2003 - 9:02pm

It sounds like your mom is totally stressed out, and it sometimes comes out in the form of anger towards the family. It happens alot.

I think your mom could really benefit by having a talk with her family doctor. He may be able to prescribe a low dose anti depressant. It could work wonders. Medications are not like they used to be in the old days. There's no stigma attached anymore. I took one myself a couple years back, when things just seemed to be piling up. I found myself acting alot like your mom, screaming at my husband and kids and wishing I was out of the house. The medication worked wonders for me. I stopped taking them about a year ago, and I still feel fine. I think they gave me enough time to work things through.

A physical is a great idea too. Lots of things go out-of-whack in our bodies, and we don't even realize it.

Best of luck! Keep us updated if possible.Flower

<