7 Ways to Help Kids De-Stress

iVillage Member
7 Ways to Help Kids De-Stress
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 4:54pm

It's no secret that kids feel stressed just as often as adults do. At school, on the ball field, and even at home, they face pressure to be the best, or at least never, ever come in last. In a competitive world where it's important to meet the status quo, our kids are feeling the heat in ways that we may never have experienced when we were young.

Find ways to help keep your children's childhoods carefree here.

Community Leader
Wed, 01-20-2010 - 6:50pm
My kids although older have been definitely experiencing some stress.
Their dad my ex-husbanded ended up in the hospital in the ICU...
My ds lives with me so it's been a little easier I think on him but still I know he is feeling stressed.
My dd lives on her own and this had definitely been very stress-ful for her...she is worried about me and her little brother, and now her dad.
She has had her share of stress this past year.
I think this world we live in is so much more stress-ful.
All that we deal with on an everyday basis.
We got good news their dad is out of the ICU and in a room and it's an answer to prayer for sure.
He hasn't been actively involved in their lives but he is their dad and I am glad he is doing better and is okay...stable right now.
Our dd remembers living with him but our ds doesn't and while dd has seen him recently ds hasn't seen him in about five and a half years maybe...
In spite of everything I wish him good health and to be here for them and for himself.
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-21-2010 - 9:48am

Of course you wish him good health & to be there for the kids.

Community Leader
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 8:05pm
Hi Amy,
Thanks!
I have to check it out...mostly have been lurking on another board Single Mothers and Dating...
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 9:27am
That's a good board as well.

Community Leader
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 11:23am
Yes it is.
I just think that as Moms sometimes we are pretty tough on ourselves...
It is good to know that other Moms are feeling similar to me.
As a Single Mom definitely lots of stress but even Woman to Woman there is stress in Life for all of us.
A little over a year ago I had a heart attack and then lost my job and was diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid Arthritis)...and so definitely have had a bit of Stress lately.
Just trying to take care of my health and also my kids, family, and friends.
My motto is "don't Sweat The Small Stuff"...and for each of us that could be "Totally" different.
I used to be much more active but the RA has had a definite impact and I know when I cannot do things when I am tired or in pain.
Learning to manage the pain and fatigue has not been easy.
I set small goals for myself and that makes me happier.
Small obtainable goals and I am beginning to give myself more time.
Knowing I am a worrywart also helps me to...learning to calm myself by breathing exercises, and just slowing down and enjoying the here and now...the past is gone and the future isn't here yet.
So the dishes aren't done...I can do them later or maybe ds will do them...;)
It will all work out.
It's Monday morning and raining and I decided I am going to go out after being in for the week-end...just get some fresh air and have lunch and a visit with some friends.
:)
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 11:32pm
We take them out. Especially during the summer time the family might go on a vacation. It may be Disney World, Six Flags. Even during school time we go to the park, take them out for ice cream. Visit their cousins, grandma, grandpa,aunts and uncles.
Glitter Graphics