Do you ever go to the movies alone?

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 3:41pm

• Yes, all the time.
  • Yes, on occasion.
  • Yes, I've gone by myself once or twice.
  • No, it would feel too weird.
  • No, I take a friend or family member with me.
  • Other, please share.

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 9:12pm
I normally take someone with me. Going to the movies alone is not fun. Especially if there is a part in the movie where you want to touch someone and say " hey did you see that".
Glitter Graphics

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 9:28am
That's a good point.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 11:56pm

I have gone alone and enjoy it.

Photobucket">

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 10:09am

Thanks Dee, for your thoughts!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 10:30am

The first time I ate alone I went to a wedding in George, Iowa. I lived in Chicago and had 2 weeks off. George is on the boarder of Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota. I visited friends in Des Moines on the way to the wedding but had a week after so I decided to go to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Badlands and everything else. I was alone. The first time I'd traveled completely alone, usually I might have traveled by myself but there was always someone at the other end to meet me. I was driving and had the back loaded with books. I figured I'd either enjoy myself or sit in the hotel and read the entire week. I'd also either starve to death or get over my fear of dining alone. I don't like fast foods too much and there's only so much you can buy at a quick mart or mini mart for a meal.

I got to Mitchell, South Dakota and was driving past the Corn Palace and was starving. I debated McDonalds but really wanted something different. I decided to suck it up and found a family restaurant. They wanted to sit me in the middle of the dining room and I quietly asked if I could sit by the wall or window. I enjoyed my time alone and surprisingly nobody was staring at me or pointing as I thought they would. My hotel reservations for the week were in Wall, SD and the only restaurant in town was a deli/bar across the street. I couldn't stay closer to Rapid City due to the Sturgis Rally which is a huge motorcycle rally going on and the bar was full of bikers and there was NO WAY I was going in there at night alone so I opted for chips and dip at the drug store. After that I made sure I ate my meals before I got back to Wall for the evening.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 11:56am
I love that you spent a week doing that stuff alone!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 12:10pm

Definitely.

I've learned that I don't have to rely on someone else to do something I want. I went out of my comfort zone and had a great time as I was forced to interact with other people and meet new people in the process.

When you travel or do something with a friend or family member you've always got someone to talk to and sometimes you're not approachable. When you're alone people will approach you and talk to you and it forces you to interact with strangers in ways you've never had to before. Since then I'm not always looking for someone else to WANT to do something I want to do. If I really want to do it I'll forge ahead alone and usually have a better time. You're also not on someone else's time schedule. If I was someplace I didn't like I could leave and not have to put it to a vote. If I was enjoying something I could stay longer and put off what else was on my list of things to do. Time was mine to do with as I wanted.

I really think if I hadn't done that I wouldn't have met my husband. We met on a website started by a cousin in another state and I. She grew up with him and invited him to the site. I liked what he was saying and one evening I called him. Something the old me never would have done. He lived in Alabama and I lived in Chicago. We talked for about a year and got engaged over the phone before we met. The following weekend he flew me to Alabama to meet. That was Thanksgiving weekend. We looked at rings and New Years day I flew back to Alabama and he proposed properly in front of his family. Got down on 1 knee and everything. We'd only been on 2 dates but I knew him better than anyone I've ever known because all we could do for a year was talk. I fell in love with WHO he was not WHAT he was. If I hadn't gone out of my comfort zone that first time and done something on my own I never would have had the courage to call him and talk to him. I NEVER would have traveled to another state to meet someone I didn't know and stay with his family who I also never met before.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 1:12pm

Oh, that is really cool!