Stress in Southeast Alabama

iVillage Member
Stress in Southeast Alabama
Thu, 02-11-2010 - 11:37pm

I'm originally from the Chicago area where we're use to cold weather, snow and ice.  I moved to Southeast Alabama 6 years ago.  About 30 minutes from the Florida/Georgia boarders.

They've been predicting 1-3 inches of snow starting late tonight through tomorrow.  The weathermen are giddy, they've closed all the schools for tomorrow, government offices are closed, all flights in/out of the local airport have been canceled, public transportation isn't running and they're telling everyone to stay home and off the roads.  The news said accumulation is likely on grassy areas and elevated areas such as bridges. 

I understand they don't have salt trucks and ice may be a problem on the roads but I feel this is ridiculous.  I have a doc's appt tomorrow morning and I have no problem driving in the snow but really stressed about being on the road with everyone who has no idea how to handle it. 

Tell me I'm worrying for nothing. 

Photobucket">

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 12:38pm

I live in south/central Georgia; the same has been predicted here. I've lived here for 15 years but grew up in NJ. Schools, etc., have closed here as well--we live in the country, own a business and I had to go into town this morning to go to the bank, otherwise I would have stayed home. I think it was worse today because all the teachers and school personnel were out in force--traffic in town was terrible on on the major highway that runs through town, which is a major east/west highway in S.GA. Up until a few minutes ago it has been a rain event, but now it is snowing (not sticking though). It isn't my I worry about when I'm out driving in these conditions, it is all the crazy people who don't slow down or look at the snow falling instead of the road!

Hope all went well with your drs. appt.

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.

--Rubin, Theodore Isaac

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom,

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 11:39pm
Yes its snowy all over.
Glitter Graphics