a joke?

iVillage Member
a joke?
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 11:13pm

Hi all, its been awhile since Ive been on here. I hope all of you are well and enjoying your move in to summer. Down here we are moving in to winter, and its made itself known with rain, wind and some places snow. But thats ok, my first winter after choosing to change my diet. Ive found winter a good way to learn more to make and have decided to make sure (mostly) that what I make is from fresh ingredients.

I found a great recipe for lasanya on a kids tv show I was watching (Im off work on injury haha). And soups, pastas etc are going along well. I know you are all going in to summer but any good winter recipies? Some for slow cookers?

Anyway my point of this post is my friends sometimes joke about me choosing to be a vegetarian. Not hard out, but yea, I think its mostly due to the fact they may not understand my choice or find it hard to think of something to make when I come over haha.
Have any of you gone through this kinda thing?
I explain my reason, which basically is that I took a university paper and havent been able to look at chicken the same, red meat I chose not to eat because I dont think I gained anything from it and I felt better not eating it.
The ones that I have found the most understanding about my choice, and I have never explained my reasons to them are the kids I have worked with. They ask why I dont eat what they are, I explain I dont eat meat, they then realise Im a vegetarian and accept it- most of the time want to eat what I have haha.

Ah this is a little long now lol, thanks before hand :)

bex
bex
iVillage Member
In reply to: jimmysgurl
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:22am

good to see you :)
It can be hard to be joked out; my partner happens to be my biggest problem. He just doesn't get vegetarianism, the desire to be it (regardless of what one's reasons are). While I've told him directly that I don't find the joking funny, he either doesn't want to stop or isn't totally aware he's doing it. His big one is saying that what I eat, is "what food eats." I've mostly taken the tack of ignoring him as well as not eating with him- he eats in his area in the basement and I eat in the living room. Hopefully he'll decide one of these days that he wants that to change and realizes he's gotta cut down or out on the joking if he wants that to happen.

on the side- a good filling, winter-type soup in the crock pot is "double potato soup." The first time I made it, I followed a recipe from one of Leanne Ely's "Saving Dinner" books. However, here's my simplified, in-my-head recipe that I now use:

3-4 white potatoes
1-2 sweet potatoes
(If you have a crock pot bigger than 5.5 quarts, you may want to add more potatoes; just keep them in this ratio)
about 3-4 cups of some vegetables- I use whatever I have on add and try to have at least one of them be colorful
1 can of white beans or about a cup of TVP or other faux meat
spices to season- mine normally include about a teaspoon of kosher salt, a sprinkling of nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon... or just use all-spice
vegetable broth or water to almost cover veggies

put all of that into the crock on high for 4 hours

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 12:46pm

Hi!

If I remember right, you live in New Zealand, right? I don't understand about the joking and have never had to endure that. Now, people may not understand why I eat the way I do

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 6:20pm

Thanks Finian ill give that soup a try :).

Ah your man sounds a little silly, maybe one day he will realise and finally sit down with you guys without joking.

Thanks heaps again!

bex
bex
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 6:25pm

Hi Amelia, yup I live in NZ. Im glad you havent had any jokes. I dont find them too offensive, I know that the people making them just dont understand. I also think that our culture here is the whole meat an 3 vege so most wouldnt have a clue what you would eat if you took away the meat.

Internet is great for recipies :D

bex
bex
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 12:17pm

Hi!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 6:23pm

You hit it on the head!!!

One friend was making a joke at how white I look in my ID for work (didnt help I was wearing a white shirt too) but she commented I looked like a ghost. So yea haha, and she said you dont now, and I said I havent felt as good as this for a very long time and giving up meat helped. She was kinda surprised how Im not as white as back then when I was eating meat. Sucka lol.

People I think always comment on other peoples food habits because they are not happy with their own, this is why I dont talk to certain people about what I eat coz they just dont understand- I guess that is why the kids I work with are so open and interested because they dont care about what they eat aslong as it tastes good.

bex
bex
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 9:11am
yeah I hope. At least the joking has slowed down a bit. I know the joking's out of nervousness and since I think he has no reason to be nervous, I find it that much sillier.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards: