Tofu protein- easier to digest?

iVillage Member
Tofu protein- easier to digest?
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 4:34pm

I got this question on the Eating Disorders board and I'm not sure where to go to find the answer- anyone know?

"Now Tofu was something I never even considered. Am I right in thinking that it is also more readily digested than many other forms of proteins?"

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me

Love and Light, Joelle

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 9:30am

I "googled" the question and came up with a lot of results that generally said that tofu was easy to digest, so I am thinking that the statement, "Am I right in thinking that it is also more readily digested than many other forms of proteins?" is correct. One site I found had this to say:

Protein Alternative

Tofu is often easier for the body to digest than animal protein, and as a result makes a good source of protein for infants, older adults, and people with digestive problems. As a uniquely high quality source of protein, tofu is inexpensive and provides protein, calcium and iron for the body. While all animal protein has cholesterol, and red meats are high in saturated fats (or bad fats), tofu is relatively low in calories, saturated fats, and sodium, as well as being entirely cholesterol-free. The replacement of animal fats with tofu can be beneficial in the long run, as studies have shown a correlation between the consumption of animal fats and cholesterol with heart disease.

http://superiortofu.com/soy-central/soy-and-your-health

There were a lot of other sites that said about the same thing, but one site said that tempeh was even easier to digest:

Tempeh is a great choice for people who have difficulty digesting plant-based high-protein foods like beans and legumes or soy foods such as tofu. The process of fermentation makes the soybeans softer, since enzymes produced by the mould predigests a large portion of the basic nutrients. The Rhizopus moulds produce an enzyme phytase which breaks down phytates, thereby increasing the absorption of minerals such as zinc, iron and calcium.
The fermentation process greatly reduces the oligosaccharides that make beans hard to digest for some people. Studies have shown tempeh to be essentially non-flatulent and producing no more gas than non-legume food.

http://www.tempeh.info/health/tempehhealth.php

Hope this helps!

Amelia

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 10:15am
thanks a bunch, Amelia :) I'll give her the link to this thread.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Follow me to these boards: