Vitamins, suppliments etc- do you take?

iVillage Member
Vitamins, suppliments etc- do you take?
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 11:24am
Do you take a multi-vitamin or any other supplements? Please share your reasoning behind why you do/don't take, what brands you prefer etc.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me

Love and Light, Joelle

Follow me to these boards:

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 11:26am
My 11 year old and I take Schiff's vegetarian complete multi-vitamin. Between my anorexia and his sometimes refusal to listen to me on what he should eat, the multi really is a "make sure we're getting what we need" and as vegans, we need something that supplements B12, which the formula does. I'm looking at taking a pro-biotic- I already have my doctor's okay- but I haven't picked one and started using it yet because getting a vegan-friendly version will require a special trip for me.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 2:06pm

I have the Schiff's vegetarian complete multi-vitamin in my kitchen. Sometimes I take it and sometimes I don't. I had been reading conflicting reports about the benefits of taking supplements and became undecided about it

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 2:29pm
you're welcome
you know, both ds and I are feeling a bit better since taking it, although neither of us are great at taking it every day. I can't help but think it explains in part why he came up as improving on height and weight at his check up, even while I was worried about him not getting what he needs.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 2:59pm
Since i have difficulty swallowing pills, I take a chewable calcium and chewable vitamin C. I used to take a multivitamin but I read that people who have altimerz in the family should not take a vitamin with copper in it so I stopped taking it. I have yet to find a copper free vitamin.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 3:17pm
hm copper free. Not something I've ever had to look for. Maybe someone here will have a suggestion :). But if you're eating varied enough, it's probably not that much a worry that you're not taking a multi

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 11:27am

We do a Vitamin B12 spray 2-3 times a week and I give my DD Vitamin D 2-3 times a week.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 4:38pm
What are some good vegan sources of vitamin D? None are coming right to my mind.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 4:40pm

here's an article from vegweb.com to answer my own question :D http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12073.0

It looks like, other than sun, vegans need to look to a multi-vitamin or fortified foods for vitamin D.

With my sun allergy, my only choice is to supplement vitamin D. Thankfully most non-dairy beverages are fortified with it.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 3:22pm

I take dulse every day.

Soliel
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 12:07pm
that "when I remember it" is a trick for me too, although not this morning as I was swallowing stuff ack! I have yet to buy my pro-biotic, but I did start a fiber tablet and that seems good. Even my 11 year old thought to take one this morn.
that's interesting, the dulse and the kelp tablet. I wouldn't even know where to get those things in my area.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Pages