Ouch! Gardening is work!

iVillage Member
Ouch! Gardening is work!
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 5:44pm

My nephew came over today to help me with some yard work that I've been putting off for a few years! LOL

The oregano has gone wild and I needed the bed dug so I could move some irises there. The bed is about 4' by 5' and was packed solid with enough oregano to supply all the pizza places in the area for a year, at least. Dn got here and we got to work, digging and shaking off as much dirt as we could. We got the space cleared and raked along with adding a bit of dirt, then got the irises dug, moved and planted. We also moved a metal patio set from that area and replaced it with a concrete bench that was in the back of the yard. It's an attempt to keep the neighbor's kids from using the area for, ummmm, things they shouldn't be doing in the middle of the night. If they have to do the deed on a hard, cold concrete bench, maybe they'll go elsewhere.

So, for the first big garden project of they year, it went well, but wow, it's a lot of work. Since that bed wasn't big enough for all the irises, I'll have to dig a new spot for the rest of them.  Ah, the projects never end.

Jan

Jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 12:35pm

Wow Jan that is a lot of work. I bet it all looks great! Sounds like you are doing your part to keep the neighborhood kids ummmm well to behave themselves!! LOL

Love ya

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 4:33pm
Isn't it great to have someone help us with the heavy duty yard work. I hired a 30 yr old this yr too and he dug out huge clumps of Shasta Dasies. Took him a quarter of the time it would have taken me and he did it so easily. Then he dug out a couple of railroad ties that had no purpose anymore. That was something I would have never gotten done.