How does your sunscreen rate?

iVillage Member
How does your sunscreen rate?
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 3:36pm

Sadly the ones I just bought get a 7...  which is NOT good!  I have yet to open them and will take them back.  BUT the best ones according to this site, I never even HEARD of, let alone have seen.  I noticed at my local Walmart when I bought mine that almost every sunscreen I looked at expired, July 09.  Some March 10.  I took a few to the customer service and told them that was just a start that there were many more expired.  I don't know how long past it is good, but if someone doesn't check it and buys it anyway, they may wonder why they got a sunburn.  Now, I know even if it is not expired one may have a problem....   

So, no matter what you buy, CHECK the expiration dates.  If a big box store like Walmart has expired on their shelves, anyone can!!!!

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

cheryl-4.jpg picture by cl-coldfingers

YourWellBeing.gif picture by cl-coldfingers

For more info on menopause and perimenopause visit:
cl-klrambo's Menopause Oasis

Remember....you are NOT alone!!!!!

hdfCLOTM1b.gif picture by cl-coldfingers

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:57pm

That seems like a very 'green' site. Interesting, but nothing I use is safe,according to them, even my Ivory soap! Of course, you can order products through their links, and a portion of the price using their links through amazon, is given back to them as a donation.

Think I'll just continue using the sunscreen my derma suggested - basically any brand and the highest spf I can find. I'll also continue wearing my big, floppy sun hat and try to stay in the shade. I want to order a few more things from coolibar, since they specialize in sun safe clothes.

Jan

Jan

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 2:28pm
See, I thought it 'odd' that the best ones are ones I NEVER heard of.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 10:46pm

Interesting information....but looks like they want to sell stuff.

My derm and the grandkids pediatrician both recommended Coppertone Water Babies with SPF 50.

Susan siggie
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 10:52pm
Yeah, I didn't even look further than the ratings.