Do you have a sister?

Administrator
Do you have a sister?
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 8:45am

And do you get along with her? Interestingly, new research has shown that having a sister can be good for your emotional health:

"....According to the study, having a sister prevents depression more than having a brother. This may be because girls are better at talking about problems or are more likely to take on a caregiver role, Padilla-Walker says.

The study also found that siblings have twice as much influence than parents over performing good deeds — including volunteering, doing favors for others and being nice to people..."

What do you think?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 12:50pm

No I don't have

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 3:55pm

No sister here either....wish I did!

Susan siggie
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 4:12pm

I have 2 sisters, and I think there might be something to that.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 10:26pm
Nope, no sisters here, just 4 brothers. My maternal cousins did make me an honorary sister, though. There were 4 girls and they felt sorry for me being the only girl. The youngest of the cousins is only 3 months older than me, and we are close.

Jan

Jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 8:07pm
yes,,two,,but not so close,,one is my twin,,that drinks heavy and on pills for Bi-polar,,and has Bad OCD,,I call her all the time,,she rarely calls me,,I dont know,,maybe if I was a drinker she would,, my younger one,,we send messages thru facebook,,I was the one calling her,,I guess she dont care to talk on the phone much..oh well..
Administrator
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 8:53am
Awww-you don't get along well with your twin? I have an identical twin sister and she is my best friend. I don't know if I could live without her. She has been through some rough spots in her life but I refuse to let her distance herself from me. You just keep trying and hopefully one day she'll realize what she has in you. {{hugs}}

Karla

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 3:24pm
we were close at one time,,her and mom didnt get along,,so when our parents divorced,,she went with him,,,when my mom passed away and left her out of the will,,,that pissed her off,,she still harps on that,,esp. when she drinks...
Administrator
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 9:23am

Do you have any idea what dosages she's on with her meds? Perhaps you can take that info to a pharmacist, describe her symptoms and ask if they are related. She may get mad at you sticking your nose in her business or she may thank you if she gets to feeling better.

Karla

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 9:26am

I have one younger sister and I love her dearly!!!

MJ :-)

Community Leader
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 11:22am
I have my sister Tina who I have ALWAYS called my favourite, she's my Only one...;)...love her dearly but we live a distance away from each each other.
She is younger married with four kids.
I am divorced older single mom of two.
We got closer in recent years, our Mom died a long time ago.
When my Mom was alive I was more like her Mom I tried my best to take care of her since I was about nine or ten.
One of the things I most regret is not being able to protect her from our brother, of course I didn't know and it was not really my responsibility but I do feel guilt and anger toward our brother and my parents.
Just makes me sad to, I wish our Mom had been there between us we had six kids, no grand-parents really.
I miss my sister being so far away.
Nightangel
Nightangel

Pages