What do you think of pharmacutical ads?

iVillage Member
What do you think of pharmacutical ads?
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 10:23am

There is controversy over IF they should be allowed to advertise on tv/print etc.  The idea is that by telling us, the patients, of the many advantages, from their stand point, that we will then 'rush' to ask our drs for prescriptions. 

Do, these ads make you ask for a med?  Do you find them 'helpful'?  What about the fact that they often times also have info on how to check into financial help to pay for the meds if you can't afford them? 

cherylqs1.jpg picture by cl-coldfingers

YourWellBeing.gif picture by cl-coldfingers

For more info on menopause and perimenopause visit:
cl-klrambo's Menopause Oasis

Remember....you are NOT alone!!!!!

hdfCLOTM1b.gif picture by cl-coldfingers

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 8:37pm

If you have a disease, it's good to know if there are alternate meds to any you now take. If you mention a drug you hear about to your doctor, maybe s/he will offer other suggestions. If a drug you're currently taking is working, and there are no bad effects from it, then your doc probably will keep you on it. Some people develop a tolerance to some of their meds, so it's good to know there are others that might work if the current drug stops working.

I don't ask my doc about them unless it's something she recommends. Then, I want to know as much as possible. Often the doctors don't know all the side effects of some of the meds they prescribe. Many of the drugs advertised on TV have such a long list of side effects that they seem to gloss over, or mention so fast, it goes right past people. If any of them mention death, it goes on my "there better be a darn good reason and nothing else will work" list. Even then, I'd ask a lot of questions.

One of dh's meds is a $40 co pay, but the pharmaceutical company that makes it gives out cards so the co-pay is only $10. It really helps to be able to save $30 a month! Oh, and yes, we used it once with his mail order pharmacy, and they only applied one month worth of saving to the whole 3 month order. We had to pay $90 for that order, and decided to just get it month by month at our regular local pharmacy. By doing that, a 3 month supply only costs $30. Quite a difference.

Jan

Jan

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 9:21pm

My mom had cancer.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 8:00pm
They are trying push these pills,,I see the ads all the time,,