Frugal Holiday Ideas

iVillage Member
Frugal Holiday Ideas
Fri, 10-03-2008 - 7:44pm

Barb suggested we start a thread down here on ideas we are using to make it a frugal Christmas. As I said in my thread, the retailers aren't getting too many of my hard-earned dollars this year. So I am making all my gifts (will probably buy books for the grandboys).

1. I'm crocheting scarves and stocking caps.

2. Sewing cloth napkins and matching placemats.

3. DH is making birdhouses and I'm decorating them.

4. Sewing (and ripping off) some "wrap-n-mats." See http://wrapnmat.com/

5. Making berry cordial

6. Will bake usual cookies/candy....but not go overboard.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2008 - 11:28pm

Some of the gift baskets I've made in the past.......

1) A bean soup basket. I got some bowls and cloth napkins at the dollar store, along with some bread type baskets, not the handle type baskets. I could also have gotten the baskets, cheap, from any of the local craft shops - just watch for the ads. I made a "confetti bean soup" jar. That's where you pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of various kinds/colors of beans into a pint jar. Add a veggie bullion cube and a bay leaf, then put on the top and screw band and attach the cooking directions. I leave off the fancy cloth top they mention, but if you have some material laying around, you cold use that. People that got these said it was the best bean soup they ever had! I think it was because of the mixture, lots of different flavors and textures. This site has lots of great, frugal ideas besides the soup jars. http://organizedchristmas.com/recipe-confetti-bean-soup)

2) A "romantic" basket. Again, a basket with a candle, a bottle of wine (2 Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's is really good), 2 wine glasses from the dollar store, some homemade chocolates

Jan

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 4:55pm

those are some great ideas,jan and red..i never heard of that sandwich wrap before.its about time they do something to replace all those sandwich bags.wish i could add to your ideas of xmas gifts.im thinking though..im really thinking....min

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2008 - 8:13pm
Good ideas, Jan! I can just see you rocking and knitting away! LOL!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2008 - 8:14pm

Yeah, I learned about those wrap-n-mats several years back and got some. I use them all the time and not just for sandwiches. I put all kinds of lunch stuff in 'em.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-14-2008 - 5:37pm
I like to make cookies and other baked goods for gifts.

FavoriteTraditions.com

Celebrating Life's Special Moments