Cabin Fever Reading?

iVillage Member
Cabin Fever Reading?
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 1:10pm

That's not magic dust, it's more snow! Snow, rain, ice, sleet.....come on, Spring!

Are you reading anything to cheer you up and help keep your sanity (or close enough to it) through this dreadful Winter weather? I need sunshine, happiness, flowers, green grass and warm breezes. How about you? Any books that transport you to more pleasant places? Even a good mystery or crime story would be nice, if it's set in a warmer place. Anything to get my mind off the fact that the sky is the same color as the snow, a dismal and dull grey.

Jan

chat cl for Your Well-Being 43-59 (Health) - Tues. and Fri. at 9 PM ET - other Y W-B chats every weekday at Noon ET and Sat. at 9 PM ET!

Jan

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 8:59am

Oh Yes...love my reading time!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 11:18am

HI Jan

Well last night I started reading Patricia Cornwells Scarpetta however it is starting in NY on a cold winter day. I just finished reading Stephen Kings After Sunset. IT is a book of short stores all written with Stephen Kings unique twist to them. I also have James Patterson's new book yet to read and Dean Kootz new book. I got all these for my Christmas present this year. So for now I am

&n
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-09-2009 - 2:11pm
I just read the latest Nelson DeMille mystery/thriller - The Gatekeeper.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-09-2009 - 7:24pm
Sounds like a good one Cindi. Adding that one to my "yet to read list" Thanks!!

&n
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 9:34pm

Jan - I love to read!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 8:06am

I am currently reading Patricia Cornwell's "Scarpetta"

recently I read, and enjoyed, an agatha Christie: Hercule Poirot's Christmas

http://www3.basbleu.com/basbleu/Fiction_1AA/Mystery_1BC/Item_Hercule-Poirots-Christmas_UC3052_ps_cti-1BC.html

but neither one is cheerful nor set in a warm place!

Dutch

Dutch

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 11:39am

For "Calgon take me away!" stories, I really like Under the Tuscan Sun. It is not like the movie in that it is mostly travellogue. It

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 2:29pm

I found a couple of mysteries set in warm places. Both are "geezer" lit, about well seasoned crime fighters.

The first is "Getting Old is to Die For", by Rita Lakin. It's part of a series about a group of older ladies in Florida, that solve murders. Interesting and funny. Not quite as action packed as an Evanovich mystery, but still a good read, and it's about a warm place, although they do travel to NYC in this one.

The next is "Retirement Homes Are Murder", by MIke Befeler. It's pretty good, and gives some insight to what getting older may be like. The main character has a short term memory problem, and his buddy has macular degeneration. They figure out ways around their physical problems, to solve a murder. Oh, and the best part is, it's set in Hawaii!!! Tropical breezes, palm trees, sun, white sand beaches........ahhh.

Jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 2:57pm

Ruth, thanks! I've heard so much about the Twilight series, and so many have recommended it, that I'm going to get on my library's waiting list. It sounds interesting.

One that I recently finished was "The Chicago Way" by Michael Harvey. It's along the lines of Chandler and Hammett

Jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 3:01pm

Thanks, Mare, those all sound good. Trust me,

Jan

Pages