I'm a newbie

iVillage Member
I'm a newbie
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 6:05pm
Hi all!

I'm new to this board and had a tough time deciding which board to consult with my health questions. A few months ago my doctor found a dermoid tumor the size of an orange on my right ovary and since it's so big they have to remove it.

Does anyone here know about dermoids? Or the procedure of removal? If not can you direct me in the right direction???

Thank you very much!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:26pm
Hi newbie! Welcome to the board, I found something for you to look at it.

A brief look at three non-cancerous ovarian conditions: follicular cysts, corpus luteum cysts, and dermoid tumors. The dermoid tumors is at the bottom of the article.

WebMD - Ovarian Cysts

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/3/1680_50981.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Welcome to the board! hope to see you around here more often!

michelle

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 12:31pm
I'm a newbie too! I'm not sure what kind of ovarian cyst I had, but when I was 18 I had a 10 pound and a 3 pound (football and grapefruit)sized cysts, one on each ovary.

The larger cysts consumed my ovary and I lost that one entirely. The second the size of a grapefruit I lost part of the ovary.

Since then, I'm not 33, I've had regular periods for the most part, and a daughter who is now 18 mos. I am no pregnant for our second and so happy.

My cysts were related to Polycystic ovarian as a result of Polycystic Kidney Disease. I just found this out two weeks ago.

I wish you all the best on your surgery. Mine required a vertical incision about 9 inches long. Hopefully yours will be far less intrusive, as they seem to be better about things today.

Recovery at age 18 was fine - not sure how old you are and if you still want children. But volunteered my thoughts on that anyway.

Good luck - thoughts and prayers with you,

Camay