? re: shingles... asking for a friend

iVillage Member
? re: shingles... asking for a friend
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 2:36pm
I normally hang out over in Depression Support, but I'm looking for info for a friend. Her mother is suffering with shingles on her head and eye. They're looking for any help they can. The shingles are subsiding and she's been under a Dr's care once they actually got it diagnosed. The problem is the intense pain she is still suffering from. It is causing her to eat very little (a few bites here and there) and do nothing but stuggle to the bathroom. They are trying to get the Drs. to do something for the extreme pain, but one is out 'til next week and the other just keeps telling them to give her ultracet (which she's been on since this started- 2 weeks ago). Has anyone endured this? Either personally or with a family member? Help.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:39am
Hi I had Shingles back in 1997 and I remember that pain well Your friend's Mom's docs are being insensitive and perhaps she should go elsewhere. I had Tylenol with Codine to help me with the pain. I did not want any addictive pain killers I guess that for now she should take what prescribed for her and Maybe some Aleve. I found that putting a soft blanket arround me helped the pain least psychologically. The pain from the Shingles can last long after they are gone Good luck Rose