Hair loss...I am only 29:(

iVillage Member
Hair loss...I am only 29:(
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 8:08pm
Hello,

I am new to this board. I am concerned about hair loss. I am pretty young at 29 yrs old, have 2 kids and recently divorced. Its been a hard road and I have been really stressed but I am wondering if the hair loss is due to the stress or maybe a condition or worse.....hereditary.

I went to my Dr. back in Sept and she said it was most likely due to stress since I recently noticed this loss really within the last 3 mths from when I went to the Dr. So its now been almost 1 yr and I have noticed a pretty good thinning going on towards the very front of my hair line. I am wondering if this is typical of stress or should I start thinking of it being something different? My life is still somewhat stressful but has calmed down some. I am eating much more and have gained some weight (which is good), and I sleep much more than before. Is there any kind of diagnosis for hair loss at such a young age? Is this normal and is there some alternatives to losing my hair?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 8:48am
Hi there Aarjas! I'm michelle-nice to meet ya!

Stress does a number of things to our bodies. I myself was going thru a very, VERY stressful time and noticed some changes with my body. So I went to the gyn and she says it was do to stress. So I tried to not be stressed, and eventually things went back to normal (or so I thought). Then I started getting headaches, bad headaches. Went to my medical doctor and he said it was stress. YIKES!! Thats two different doctors that told me the same thing.

So I said all that to say this, stress does wierd things to our bodies. I was working on overload and my body was telling me to slow things down. You said its been almost a year and you noticed some thinning? Does hair loss run in your family? If its really bothering you give your doctor a visit and see what she/he says.

*michelle*

and let me know how it goes!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:13pm
Thank you and I too suffer headaches. I have been eating and sleeping but guess that i do not see how much stress I endure since I guess you grow accustomed to it or something. I have an appointment next week and hope that it is only stess so I can feel better that my hair will grow back.

Thank you kindly for your response:)

Aarjas