please help...what is this?

iVillage Member
please help...what is this?
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 9:01pm

hi
Basically i'm kind of worried about the symptoms im experiencing. I'll explain why im worried but first my symptoms are

slightly enlarged right tonsil with shallow large blisters and bits of white build up like stuff that come off into my mouth sometimes.

i took a bit of with my finger and its hardish and white but you can squeeze it between your two fingers and it smells bad.
there's a big red vein going across the tonsil that wasn't there before

i have a really enlarged taste bud on the side of my tongue towards the back but it isn't oozing or changing size.

my tongue is coated in white at the back and is literally yellow around the middle of the tongue spreading towards the front. i brush it off but it comes back!

none of this is causing me pain and iv had it for a couple of weeks it began with swollen painful glands and feeling a bit under the weather but those 2 symptoms are long over and the mouth symptoms remain weeks later.

I think there's also a few dark pink patches on the back of my throat but im not absolutely sure if they are natural or not.

what im worried about it i realized the smell off the white build up on my tonsils is the same smell as my boyfriends breath, even when he chews gum the smell is there.He definitely had that smell before this happened but i gave him oral sex a month and a bit ago and i was wondering if that could have anything to do with it? he is forever scratching down below as well but i know he doesn't have crabs or warts.But like i said that was a month and a half ago.

i don't want to go to the doctor cos my mother will want to come even if i am nearly 18 and what if its to do with giving head?

can anyone help me?I'm such a worrier :(

thank you so much
xxx

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 2:06am
Hi, happydays, and welcome to Women's Health Issues. No one except a physician can say with any certainty what is causing your symptoms, and I would urge you to see a doctor as soon as possible. If I were experiencing the symptoms you're having, I would want to be checked for mono and strep throat, along with other possibilities.

In the United States, many states have laws protecting the confidentiality of a 17-year-old seeking medical treatment, which may include limiting parents' access to medical information. Call your doctor's office to find out the policy regarding the confidentiality of medical information as it pertains to minors. Regardless of the answer, though, you need to see a doctor -- as does your boyfriend.

Could you tell your mother that since you're nearly 18, you would prefer to go into the exam room by yourself? She may be more understanding than you think she will be.

Although whatever is causing your symptoms may not be sexually-transmitted, it is still a reminder to practice the principles of safer sex to help avoid such scares in the future.

I wish you all the best. Please let us know if you have more questions or concerns.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health Issues

Edited 10/26/2009 10:12 am ET by cl-bunsofclay
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-15-2009 - 6:25pm
You have tonsiloliths (tonsil stones). They are smelly little globs of hardened stuff that collect in the crypts of tonsils in some people. If you go to youtube.com and search "tonsil stones" you will see quite a bit about them, or just google Tonsil Stones.
The other white patches on your tongue may be from yeast over-growth in your system that is called Thrush. Search on Thrush and Candida and you will find more about it. The tonsil stones won't need a doctor's visit, but you should find out if you have thrush. Stop eating candy and sweets and bakery goodies, quit drinking sodas (cut down on sugar). Too much sugar in your diet feeds the yeast so that it may over-grow and cause problems like thrush.
Eat yogurt and pro-biotics to make your digestive system healthier. I hope this helps. Alice
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-17-2009 - 12:13pm
Hi, Alice, and thanks for joining in! I hope that by now the original poster has been to a doctor and had her problem diagnosed and treated.

As you suggested, I did an Internet search for "tonsil stones," and boy did I find more than I ever wanted to know, lol! If you haven't seen this, here is a New York Times article about tonsil stones.