irregular period

iVillage Member
irregular period
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 5:10pm

okay i have a question, i just started working in retail and i am on my feet for 6, 7 hours at a time. my period went from 4 days always normal to 2 maybe 3 days with only somewhat heavy the first day and very light the next too. i did have a scare with being pregnant but all the tests say im not. im very confused and dont erally know what to do or how this could be happening.. can someone help?

iVillage Member
In reply to: mackiee6
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 11:15pm
Hi, mackiee6! Welcome to the Women's Health Issues board.

I think we need a little more information to help address your concern.

• What is your age?

• Have there been other changes in your life besides the new job?

• What level of stress are you experiencing?

• Have you added, discontinued or changed dosage of any medication (including "natural" or OTC products)?

• Are you dieting?

• Have you significantly increased your exercise?

• Has the interval between your periods changed, or is it just the duration and flow?

Please let us know a few more details so we can help answer your question or guide you to an appropriate resource for more information. Oh, and worry may compound the problem, so try to relax. (Easier said than done, I know!)

I'll look forward to your reply. You can just drop in to say hi, too, if you want!

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health Issues
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 11:50pm
im 18 and no nothing has really changed except the job. my stress levels have been pretty high because we thought i was pregnant but besides that everything is the same. i am not dieting but with working i do not eat as much and excersing its just always being on my feet. Since i have started working i have lost some weight but i dont know. i found online it says that stress can change it and i was just wondering if work could have changed it also. jsut a little concerned.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 1:38am
Thanks for answering so quickly!

You have a lot going on -- a new job, change in routine, weight loss and pregnancy scare, to name a few things -- and all that can contribute to a higher stress level. Even positive events, like getting or changing jobs, can trigger stress. For me personally, I know that stress has a significant impact on my cycle.

To help put your mind at ease, you might want to mention it to your doctor. You should definitely schedule and appointment if the problem persists or worsens. If you don't have health insurance, most communities have free or sliding-fee clinics (where you only pay what you can afford).

Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health Issues
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 3:53pm
so all the stress could be causing it?
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 4:42pm

Yes, it could. Stress is one of the most common causes of irregular periods.

The menstrual cycle is regulated by hormones, and the body's reaction to stress alters the levels of many hormones. Plus, you are young and it's possible, or even likely, that your hormones are naturally still in flux. (My husband says women are walking bundles of hormones, and sometimes I feel like he's right!)

This