The Kitchen Table

iVillage Member
The Kitchen Table
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 2:47am
In many homes, the kitchen table is a gathering spot, a place where friends and family share food, conversation, laughter and a few tears. I'd like to encourage everyone to treat our new Kitchen Table the same way.

You don't need to have a problem or question in order to take a seat, though those are welcome here too. But this is also a good place to share some news, tell us a joke, vent about a pet peeve, find a shoulder to cry on if that's what you need at the moment, or just stop by to say hello.

So pour yourself a cup of coffee (or whatever you'd prefer), pull up a chair and let's visit, shall we?

Siggy
Community Leader of Women's Health Issues

Pages

Community Leader
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 11:05am
I just found this board and think I will love it.
Have had a very difficult week and sometimes I think we just need to vent, find a shoulder to cry on.
My dad who I haven't seen in pretty long time is coming to visit tomorrow and he just lost his woman friend (who I never met) but have talked to on the phone and felt close to.
I feel an un-bearable sadness about her passing and also feel a bit ambivalent about his "visit".
I have had many health issues the past two years and it has impacted greatly on my LIFE.
While reading the introduction to the kitchen table I had many fond memories of ours at home when my beloved mom was alive.
Always a pot of tea or coffee on and I really do miss that...
Just feeling a bit sad today...
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 2:02am
Hi, Night Angel, I'm so glad you decided to stop by! We all need a place where we can open up about how we're feeling, and you are always welcome to do so here.

My condolences to both you and your dad on the loss of his companion, and I hope your visit with him goes well despite your ambivalence about it.

Like you, I have fond recollections of all that occurred around the kitchen table in our house years ago. I am truly blessed to still have my mother, who is wise, funny and resilient as ever at 89.

By the way, is that your cat in your avatar?

Siggy

Community Leader
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 8:44am
Thank you so much for the warm welcome it is much appreciated.
Yes that is our beloved Sabrina (Bean) and we also have her daughter to...her name is Trex...for T-REX my ds decided on it... lol
Just waiting for my dad trying to be patient but I am on pins and needles.
I do have ambivalent feelings but I think it is just because I am so emotional.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry...kwim?
Again thank-you so much. so glad you have your mom...missing mine and wish my dad didn't have to suffer his loss.
<3

Edited 11/24/2009 9:10 pm ET by nightangel67
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 4:26am
Lovely place you have here! I'm glad I dropped by. I want to thank you helping me out while I was away. Now I'll have some of that coffee, please, and would you be interested in a few of these apples I brought back from the countryside?

apples Pictures, Images and Photos

I have plenty, about 15 kilos! Since I want to avoid getting colic from eating too many of them, it looks as though I'll be making more apple butter.

How have you been?

Prospero:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,

As I foretold you, were all spirits, and

Are melted into air, into thin air:

And like the baseless fabric of this vision,

The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,

The solemn temples, the great globe itself,

Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,

And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,

Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff

As dreams are made on; and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep.

The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148–158

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 7:46pm
You're welcome, Nenu, it was my pleasure to mind the store for a few days!

I would be happy to take a few of those apples off your hands, thank you! We must protect your health, after all. Besides, an apple is one of the secret ingredients in my husband's world-renowned stuffing. Mmmm, mmmm, I can almost taste it now!

I'm looking forward to a quiet Thanksgiving at home. What will you be doing to occupy yourself while the United States collectively overeats and falls into a tryptophan stupor?
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 8:08pm
Hi, Night Angel, I hope you're doing well. It sure sounds like you've got a great pair of kids. :-)

I know what you mean about wanting to take away your daughter's heartache. My DD has been through a couple of breakups that really hurt, and I would have given anything to erase that pain for her. But, sadly, I think it's something we all have to live through at some point.

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss last year. If you decide to go back to school, what would you like to study?

Oh, I never commented on your cat after asking about her. She is a cutie! The other cat's name, Trex, made me laugh and reminded me of the unique names some of our pets have had over the years. My sister is the worst, though: She had one cat she just called Little and another she called Kitty. Now she has one named (you guessed it) Little Kitty.
Community Leader
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 9:09pm
~hugs~
Thanks they are!...
Just wanted to say how much I appreciated this post.
Haven't been on-line too much lately.
Having a little bit of a flare...the RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis).
I have it in my hands and also my feet (ankles), knees, and my hips.
Our cats have just been silly lately but I think they are just having a case of Spring fever in the fall/winter...lol...
We used to have a cat when dd was younger named KC...lol...short for kitty cat...;)
My dd is doing pretty good all things considered...she is missing him but that's understandable...
Her and I can relate as I broke up with mine so she knows I understand.
We didn't live together but had been engaged but sometimes love just isn't enough.
I am actually thinking and hoping to become a Paralegal or Legal Assistant.
Have had some setbacks the program was full in Sept and it's now not being offered in Jan when I planned to go instead.
So I might be looking at next Sept.
Hopefully it will all work out.
I really loved my job and miss it and the people I worked with were absolutely wonderful.
We are all really in the same boat...similar situations...it's hard in this economy for everyone.
Just trying to be positive and upbeat.
I had a few health issues this past year so I am just taking it one day at a time.
Everyday is a Gift!
Again thank-you so very much!
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 9:11am
All right, now I am intruiged about your husband's world famous stuffing. I must have been sleeping when the rest of the world found out about it, lol.

Tomorrow I have a lot of things to try and get done. Among them is writing a letter that has been in abeyance for far too long, and which I have got to finish and send to the recipient.

I will also either be recovering from the shock of a haircut, or just plain pleased with it, since I have an appointment with my hair dresser in a short while. I knew the time was coming up fast to get my hair done, because my husband complimented me on it about ten days ago. Without fail, he sees it when it is at its peak, and then it goes on a growing spurt that makes the cut lose its shape.

How many of those apples did you want, by the way? I dealt with about 18 of them earlier, making this:

Compote de Pommes au Citron Vert -- Apple-Lime Compote

2 golden delicious apples

2 granny smiths

4 limes

100 gms of sugar (jam making sugar, preferably, which has some pectin added to it.)

1 vanilla pod (optional)

Wash and dry the limes. Remove the zest with a zester and cut the limes in two. Squeeze them and keep the juice.

Quarter, peel and core the apples. Cut each quarter into three or four large pieces. Put the apples into a large pot with the juice and zest of the limes, the sugar and vanilla cut into strips, if using.

Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the apples are soft and translucid.

Serve at room temperature. Goes well with roasts or curries.

It’s also good added to banana muffin batter, about a half cup.

Of course, 18 apples made much more than the original recipe specified, but I have to do something with those apples!

I actually bottled it, making five jars, and will keep it on hand, like jam. I should have used a bit more sugar, or less lime, perhaps, as it is quite tart and acidic, and DH doesn't always like too much lemon or lime. Oh well. He'll eat some anyway. Oh and rather than bottling it, it freezes very nicely, too, if you have freezer space, which I do not.

Prospero:

Is rounded with a sleep.

The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148–158

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 3:36pm
Thanks for watching the board while I was away for a few days.

I'm still working on getting the recipe for the world-famous stuffing. It's the results that are renowned; the recipe is a closely guarded secret, lol.

I hope you have a happy and safe New Year's celebration, if I don't talk to you before then!

Siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 7:17am
Hello again, I can't believe I haven't been back here in over a month! I just thought I'd drop in, since I'm getting out a bit more frequently these days.

Fitting Lingerie; a Shopping Fantasy by Nenu.

Prospero:

Is rounded with a sleep.