young and spider veins

iVillage Member
young and spider veins
Sun, 12-06-2009 - 2:23am
Hey,
So I recently noticed spider veins beginning to appear on my right shin. I always knew I would probably get them (there is a strong family history of them on my fathers side). The only thing that strikes me as odd about this is that I am barely 20 (like i turned 20 less then a month ago). I'm not obese, although I'm only a few pounds away from being officially considered "over weight". I am a student, but I do not sit in one position for long periods of time, and I walk at least 2 miles every day. Other then the walking i'm not as active as I would like but i am a dancer and dance regularly. also i'm not pregnant, nor have i ever been, and I'm not on birth control. The only recent medical issue I've had is a mild (but persistent) case of mono. so what gives?
Has any one else gotten spider veins this young? Should I be concerned at all?
Thanks
-S.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 5:00pm
Oh dear, I should have said welcome back to the board! I see you've visited here before. I hope you'll stop by again soon!

Siggy
Community Leader of Women's Health Issues

Administrator
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 9:31am

Hi Sadi, I took your question to our health, diet and wellness expert, Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom, and this is what she had to say: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-fbmadelyn/messages?msg=138.2

I hope this helps. :)

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 3:27pm
I've had them on my left calf and lower back my entire life as well.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 7:09pm
Welcome to the Women's Health Issues board, C! Thanks for your input, and please visit us again.

Siggy

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 9:38pm

Hello S, I've had them my whole life.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 5:18pm
Hello, S., and welcome to the Women's Health Issues board!

I have no personal experience with spider veins, but from the research I've done it sounds like you don't need to be overly concerned about their early appearance, which likely is due to heredity. Here are links to a couple of web sites with more information: WebMD and WomensHealth.gov.

Good luck, and I hope others with knowledge of this condition will come along to share their experience with you.

Siggy