Do you get a yearly physical?

iVillage Member
Do you get a yearly physical?
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 6:54pm
Do you check in with your PCP for a yearly physical like blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, vaccinations, ear, nose, throat etc? Or do you just go to the DR when you are sick?

Photobucket

✿◕‿◕✿VOTE FOR THE NEXT PURPLE LAB STAR: HALEY!!✿◕‿◕✿

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 9:01pm
Yes I do.
Glitter Graphics

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 1:07am
I used to be that woman who only went to the doctor for the annual gyno exam. Other than that, I never got sick (or so I thought) so the only time I ever set foot in a clinic was to accompany a family member.

Last spring, I changed doctors. Even though I didn't have any specific complaints when I went in for my annual exam, my new doctor thought it would be a good idea to check my thyroid function in addition to the other routine blood tests. Lo and behold, I have hypothyroidism -- and probably have had it for years.

So now I'm a convert, and I'm kicking myself for not going in for a general physical every year.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 1:12am
Welcome to the Women's Health board, SBM! Please let us know what you'd like us to call you.

I'm glad to hear you're taking care of yourself by getting an annual physical.

Siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 2:28am
Good for you. My DR will no longer do refills of things unless I have been in for that specific med or a general exam within the last year, even though I am a "frequent flyer" through her office. But, it doesn't make sense to continue to provide refills if she has only seen me for ear infections or pneumonia or something.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 2:36am
yeah... sometimes that "no news is good news" thing comes back to bite us! Do you feel a lot better since treating it? I on the other hand would be RICK if I have a dime for every thyroid test I have had done! Of course, it is never so simple with me... my thyroid seems to be the only thing that functions normally, lol.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 3:42am
I do feel better, thanks, and it took getting better for me to realize how sick I'd been for so long.

Many labs are still using the old standard of "normal" thyroid levels, BTW. If you have any doubts, ask to see the actual numbers and not a report that simply says you're within normal range. Under guidelines recommended by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the target level of thyroid-stimulating hormone is between 0.3 and 3.0. Many labs and doctors still use a range of 0.5 to 5.0. Here is an article with more information.

When it comes to the thyroid, "normal" and "healthy" aren't always synonymous. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, though, and I hope yours is within the "healthy" range.

Siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 7:28pm

Oh believe me, my thyroid is definitely normal. I see one of the top endocrinologists in the US. I've had sub-clinical testing of so many weird things I can't keep track. I can pretty much read any lab results at this point, but when I got those, I was like ?????? Even my pdoc, who is super, super, super smart and knows everything (lol) was like "I have no idea what any of this means, lol" and he regularly orders thyroid testing and other things that could cause mood issues other than a real psych disorder.

All my DRs send me the lab results, not just a call that says "it's all normal." I keep really accurate records since I see so many DRs... I have a binder with it all that I take with me, lol.

I am glad to hear you feel so much now that you have identified your thyroid problem. The thyroid is often the culprit of many, many problems... from dry skin to deep depression.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 12:04am
Wow, you're really on top of all this stuff! That's great. I didn't mean to butt in, but it kind of freaked me out to learn that so many labs use the old numbers and just report results "in normal range" so I'm on a personal crusade to make sure everyone who has a thyroid test gets the actual numbers.

You're right about a bum thyroid being at the root of so many problems! My biggest "tell" was poor muscle tone, especially in the abdomen, despite regular exercise. What really burns me that I asked my old gyno about it 15 years ago, and he said it was normal but if I was concerned I could join a weight loss program. I was flabby, not fat! I worked like the devil to stay in shape, and I just recently realized that my new doctor is the first one who believed me when I told her how much I exercised. Grrr.

Siggy

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 12:14am

You weren't butting in at all!

I know a lot about being dismissed by DRs. Having bipolar often makes me the target of stigma within the medical profession, like there can't be anything really wrong, I'm just "crazy." And of course having a chronic illness that you can't see or test for makes things weird too sometimes.

I am sorry your GYN didn't catch that sooner. I am so glad you are feeling better and learning about advocating for yourself.