Rabies vaccine

iVillage Member
Rabies vaccine
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 2:24pm

I live in the Northeast and there have been quite a few rabid animals in the area. During the summer the animal control officer shot a woodchuck acting funny and it had rabies.......in a nearby town there were 2 incidents with rabid foxes attacking people watering her plants and one walking her dog out of nowhere and now a rabid fox (in the middle of winter) attacked a woman walking to her house.

We have foxes here and I am deathly allergic to neomycin antibiotic (and relatives of that antibiotic) that is in the rabies shots. I am getting scared because I have heard rabies is a killer unless you get the shots right away...that there is no cure. I think if you are allegic to pene\icillin like I am also they can desensitize you for that one illness if it is needed. Can they do this with the neomycin?

Any advice would be appreciated as they are closing in and it isn't even spring yet. Thank you.

iVillage Member
In reply to: suggi2010
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 11:32pm
Hi Suggi, and welcome to the Women's Health board. I don't know the answer to your question, and I'm not going to speculate about it, because it could be a matter of life or death.

Please call your doctor or the county health department and explain your concern about your neomycin allergy coupled with a growing number of rabid animals in your area. You can e-mail me through my profile if you need help tracking down who to contact.

Best of luck, and please stop by again!

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health