Anyone heard of apple cider benefits?

iVillage Member
Anyone heard of apple cider benefits?
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 10:10am
I was talking to a friend recently, and she was saying that when she was in Australia, where it was very hot, she was advised to drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in a glass of water to help her endure the heat. Apparantly English women who went to India in the 19th century did this (my friend was handed a little booklet that explained all this) as a remedy against the heat. She said the idea of it was bizarre, but she gamely gave it a try and to her surprise, it was effective.

This intruiged me, as I am very fond of cider vinegar, and used to take little forbidden sips of it from the bottle when I was a kid, as I found it quite refreshing. So, I went and did some looking around, and lo and behold, it seems there is a huge amount of good that it is claimed to do. Note, I said claimed, as I'm not entirely gullible to believe that it can do all that is said it will. Still, I find the idea interesting. This link goes to one site that seemed to be well organised and informative about it.

Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits.

Fitting Lingerie; a Shopping Fantasy by Nenu.

Prospero:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,

As I foretold you, were all spirits, and

Are melted into air, into thin air:

And like the baseless fabric of this vision,

The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,

The solemn temples, the great globe itself,

Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,

And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,

Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff

As dreams are made on; and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep.

The Tempest Act 4, scene 1, 148–158

Photobucket

CL – Sexual Health

No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. – Nils Bohr

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 4:21pm
My ex-husband's grandfather swore by apple cider vinegar and had a little bit every day for his health.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 7:32am

Well, I've started having a spoonful every day now, diluted in a glass of water. If I discover any benefits from it, I'll let you know, but so far, all I can say is it's not doing me any harm, and I still like the taste of it.

Prospero:

Is rounded with a sleep.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 4:02pm
While I had never heard of using apple cider vinegar as an aid to endure extreme heat, a few friends of mine use it for myriad other benefits. One woman swears she lowered her cholesterol by drinking 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in a cup of water every day without making any other changes, and another friend tells me it lowered both her blood pressure and glucose levels.

I've always been curious about it, but not quite convinced to give it a try myself. Please do let us know what you think -- good, bad or indifferent.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 10:50am
Well you'll never know if you don't try, right? So far, I can't tell if it's making any difference, but one thing I do know is that when I prepare my daily potion and smell that delicious apple cider smell, mmmmmm!!!!!! Makes me salivate! Of course, vinegar does that anyway, doesn't it? lol

Seriously, it isn't doing me any harm, but the real test will be over the course of time, especially when it gets hot. Which it is not doing, and isn't going to do for a while.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and take my daily dose.

ETA, the daily dose was delicious! ;-)

Prospero:

Is rounded with a sleep.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 3:00am
I'm curious...Do you have an update for us about this experiment?
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 4:08am
No, I don't, because the experiment fell by the way-side, partly because it was so darn cold here for so long. It's getting hot here now, so I'm going to get back to trying it, and if I keep it going, I'll let you know what, if anything I have to report.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 2:46pm
Oh, I understand about the cold weather! It has been unseasonably cold where I live too. We've only had a few nice days, weeks apart, all spring.

Good luck with the vinegar project!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 11:21am
I have started it again, although that is all the news I have, since it was today I went back to it, lol.

However, since it is quite hot and humid here, it was extremely refreshing to have a tall, cool glass of water with a spoonful of cider vinegar in it.

Then I turned the oven on to bake muffins, since it just wasn't quite hot enough in my kitchen. ROFL! Wrong! It was plenty hot, but I had some bananas that needed attention, so I have a dozen hot banana and apple-lime purée muffins ready. Want some for breakfast? I know this is the wrong thread to be asking that in, I should be at the kitchen table, but got started here.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 11:55am
I've done some more reading — imagine that, lol — about the health benefits of apple cider vinegar and it seems that the vinegar must be unfiltered in order to provide the most benefit. The type most commonly available here, filtered and distilled, is of little use.

Now, about the hot banana and apple-lime purée muffins, I would love one with my morning coffee! That combination of flavors sounds delicious. The tartness of the lime would be a wonderful balance to the sweetness of the bananas.

Around here, bananas usually don't last long enough to need special attention. In fact, I'm more likely to have trouble keeping them on hand. My husband eats one almost every morning, and I occasionally partake as well.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 4:27pm
Mmmm, yum!

Pages