WW Endorsing McDonalds!

iVillage Member
WW Endorsing McDonalds!
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 11:30am

What do you all think?  Is it appropriate for Weight Watchers to endorse any menu items at McDonalds?  Does it seem like a marketing ploy to you or do you think it's truly about promoting healthy eating?  I'd love to know your thoughts on this.

McDonald's is hardly an ideal dining location for anyone struggling to stay slim. But the fast food chain scored a PR coup today when Weight Watchers agreed to endorse some of its products in New Zealand – a move met with outrage by nutritionists and obesity experts.

As part of the deal, which the company says is the first of its kind in the world, McDonald's will use the Weight Watchers logo on its menu boards and Weight Watchers will promote McDonald's to dieters.

Read more about Anger over Weight Watchers' endorsement of McDonald's.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 7:01pm
Frankly, I'm kind of torn about this. While I don't think for a minute think that McDonald's is the healthiest dining option available, this endorsement of certain menu items in New Zealand may guide people who are going to eat there no matter what toward better choices. It will be interesting to see if Weight Watchers follows suit in any other countries.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 9:54am

It will be interesting to see if Weight Watchers follows suit in any other countries.

I agree... and as someone who follows Weight Watchers (and has kids) McDonalds is sometimes a choice for my family.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 5:39pm
I just have to add that Taco Bell has a fresco menu that works well with WW's. I'll bet that will be next.

Flowers & ButterflyFlowers & Butterfly