Can't get up in the Morning

iVillage Member
Can't get up in the Morning
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 7:19pm

I have had issues with sleep most of my life.   This resulted in me spending most of my waking hours tired.   But I am starting to worry....

I can't get up in the morning.  I either A--dont hear the alarm or B--simply turn it off unaware.  Also, I can spend an entire weekend sleeping.  Not just sleeping 10 or 12 hours....but sleeping night and day!!!    This issue has only developed in the last 3 months.

I am going to school in the morning and working in the afternoons.  Last week I was on spring break.  I could have worked extra hours but I was exhausted.  I still had difficulty getting up at 11am!!!

I wanted to add a bit more information.  My life is busy...but not overly stressful in itself.  All this sleeping is causing stress for me!  I am not getting laundry done...or homework done.

I have always been a very healthy person, except for taking meds for depression.  I have cut out a lot of fast food and started eating more fruits.  I don't think it is a factor created by the depression.  Though I am going to call both my Psych doctor and my GP for appointments.

What are some key things that my GP should be checking?  What are some causes to such exhaustion?

Thanks everyone

Edited 4/5/2010 7:22 pm ET by sllychk
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 12:32pm

Welcome to the Women's Health board, sllychk! It sounds like you've got a good handle on your overall health, and it's great that you're planning to ask your doctors about the problem that has developed with excessive sleeping.

If I were you, one thing I would request is a blood test of thyroid function. Somnolence is a hallmark symptom of hypothyroidism – underactive thyroid – and certain medications used to treat depression actually cause hypothyroidism. Be sure to ask for specific results of the test and discuss them with your doctor. Many labs still go by an acceptable level of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) of up to 5.0, but newer guidelines suggest the accepted upper "normal" reference range of TSH should be no higher than 3.0. Many people report feeling best when their TSH level is around 2.0.

Another thing that should be checked is your glucose level. Both low blood sugar and elevated blood sugar can result in extreme fatigue and lethargy. As with hypothyroidism, some depression meds can cause those conditions.

Good luck as you deal with this problem. I hope this helps you find a place to start when you bring it up with your doctors. You are always welcome to talk about your questions and concerns here, and please let us know how things are going.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 2:20pm

I'm sorry you're so exhausted all the time.

Community Leader
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 1:58am
One of the symptoms related to RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) is Fatigue.
Maybe your doctor could check for that also...
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 4:28pm
Thanks for pointing out the link between RA and fatigue, Night Angel. Now that you mention it, I believe fatigue is a common symptom of many autoimmune diseases.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Community Leader
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 8:12pm
Your Welcome!
Nightangel
Nightangel