Why We Can't Do 3 Things at Once

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 6:29am
For those who find it tough to juggle more than a couple things at once, don't despair. The brain is set up to manage two tasks, but not more, a new study suggests.

That's because, when faced with two tasks, a part of the brain known as the medial prefrontal cortex (MFC) divides so that half of the region focuses on one task and the other half on the other task. This division of labor allows a person to keep track of two tasks pretty readily, but if you throw in a third, things get a bit muddled.

"What really the results show is that we can readily divide tasking. We can cook, and at the same time talk on the phone, and switch back and forth between these two activities," said study researcher Etienne Koechlin of the Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris, France. "However, we cannot multitask with more than two tasks."

Read more of this article here:

And I'll bet there are plenty of mothers of small children who would dispute those findings. lol

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 6:22pm
This article should be required reading in all driver education courses. Every day, I see people talking on the cell phone, texting or checking e-mail, jotting down notes, reading, attending to personal grooming (combing hair, men shaving, women putting on makeup), staring at a GPS display, watching a DVD (!), changing radio stations or CDs, eating, drinking, smoking — all while DRIVING.

Something is not going to get the attention it needs, and we can only hope it's the cigarette or coffee or entertainment system rather than the life-or-death task at hand.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 7:40am
I didn't even think about people doing all those other things while driving, when I posted this article, but you are absolutely right, it should be required reading in driver education courses. I see people using the phone and smoking while driving, but the other things you mentioned shocked me. Watching a DVD while driving?! Yes, I know you're not making that up, but I wish you were.

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 2:46pm
Yes, I actually have seen someone watching a DVD while driving. We were stuck in traffic, but still, I think the driver's attention should be on what's happening on the road.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health