Exercise is Good for the Brain

iVillage Member
Exercise is Good for the Brain
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 10:07am
Working out on a treadmill isn't just good for the body, it's good for the brain, according to a new study, the latest to weigh in on the cognitive benefits of exercise.

Regular exercise speeds learning and improves blood flow to the brain in monkeys, the study found. The researchers suspect the same would hold true for humans.

While there is ample evidence of the beneficial effects of exercise on cognition in other animal models, such as the rat, it has been unclear whether the same holds true for people, said study researcher Judy Cameron, a psychiatry professor at Pitt School of Medicine. Testing the hypothesis in monkeys can provide information that is more comparable to human physiology.

For one, monkeys exercise like people, in that they love getting on a treadmill (well sort of like us), and they won't run all night as rats would do if provided with a running wheel, Cameron said.

"Second, monkeys, like people, have well-developed cerebral cortices and that is the part of the brain used in cognition. Rats have a much less developed cortex, so again monkeys are more analogous to people," Cameron told LiveScience.

Read more of this article here:

Exercise is Good for the Brain.

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 5:25pm
I am headed to the gym in a few minutes to increase blood flow to my brain, then I plan to take a nap when I come home, in the hope that I dream and learn something in the process. By the end of the afternoon, I should be a certifiable genius! (Or merely certifiable, perhaps, lol.)

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:10am
LOL! How was the workout and ensuing nap? Did you follow those up with a funny movie, or would that have been over doing it for one day?

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:52pm
The workout was good, but the nap never really took off, lol. I have to be completely worn out to sleep in the middle of the day, and it just wasn't happening yesterday. It didn't happen today either, even though I have been dog-tired all day. If only laughter were the new sleep instead of the new exercise, I could pop a Mel Brooks movie in the DVD player and be set. I may do that anyhow, it is good for me even if it isn't the same as sleep.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health