iVillage Member
What does 'Women's Health' mean to you?
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 2:23pm

What does 'Women's Health' mean to you?

• It refers only to gynecological and breast health
  • It refers to medical conditions that are unique to women
  • It refers to medical conditions that are more prevalent among women
  • It refers to any medical condition that affects women differently than men
  • It refers to situations when women have different access to medical treatment
  • It refers to any condition or situation, so long as the patient is a woman
  • Other, I'll explain

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
May I add that for me it refers to any mental and physical health conditions and situations pertaining to women.

iVillage Member
I agree completely, Poppy. My vote went to "Other, I'll explain" because I think most of the options fit my definition of women's health. While I do believe it refers to any condition or situation, so long as the patient is a woman, I want a healthcare provider who is familiar with conditions that are unique to or more prevalent among women, and how they affect us differently than they do men. I also think access to treatment is an important women's health issue.

I was surprised, and frankly disappointed, to find this definition of women's health on Wikipedia:

Women's health refers to health issues specific to human female anatomy. These often relate to structures such as female genitalia and breasts or to conditions caused by hormones specific to, or most notable in, females. Women's health issues include menstruation, contraception, maternal health, child birth, menopause and breast cancer. They can also include medical situations in which women face problems not directly related to their biology, for example gender-differentiated access to medical treatment.

It is so much more than that!

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member

I think that that is a dated definition of Women's Health especially for doctors and scientist who are studying how ailments and symptoms do or might vary along the gender line, and whether treatments and procedures affect men and women differently. We know now that women have different symptoms than men when they have heart attacks, for example.

Community Leader
I think it is all things that affect a woman's well-being! It is more than diseases or body parts.
iVillage Member
It's interesting you mentioned women's heart attack symptoms, because another thing I found surprising as I was researching this series was that symptoms we typically think of as signs of a heart attack — including chest pain, pounding or racing heartbeat, nausea and shortness of breath — may actually signal a stroke in women. Read more here.

I'm glad that the medical community has come to realize that the differences between men and women aren't all about hormones and genitalia. I read a study several years ago that said the structure and function of human and chimpanzee brains among individuals of the same gender are more similar than human brains of different genders.

bunsofclay

iVillage Member
I agree! Women's Health is certainly about more than diseases or body parts.

bunsofclay