Autoimmune Diseases Target Women 3:1

iVillage Member
Autoimmune Diseases Target Women 3:1
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 12:26pm
From the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association:

Named a major women's health issue by the Office of Research on Women's Health at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), autoimmunity is the underlying cause of more than 100 serious, chronic illnesses. It targets women 75 percent of the time.

The term "autoimmune disease" refers to a varied group of illnesses that involve almost every human organ system. It includes diseases of the nervous, gastrointestinal, and endocrine systems, as well as skin and other connective tissues, eyes, blood and blood vessels. In all of these diseases, the underlying problem is similar - the body's immune system becomes misdirected and attacks the very organs it was designed to protect. The fact that women have enhanced immune systems compared to men increases women's resistance to many types of infection, but also makes them more susceptible to autoimmune diseases.

Taken together, autoimmune diseases strike women three times more than men. Some diseases have an even higher incidence in women. In fact, of the 50 million Americans living with autoimmunity, 30 million people are women, some estimates say. Autoimmune diseases have been cited in the top ten leading causes of all deaths among U.S. women age 65 and younger. Moreover, these diseases represent the fourth largest cause of disability among women in the United States. Read more.

Also, womenshealth.gov has a helpful list of frequently asked questions, and a list of many accepted and suspected autoimmune diseases is available at Wikipedia.

A number of iVillage Health message boards are available to provide information and support for various autoimmune diseases. A good place to start is the "Chronic Health Conditions" category.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 1:10pm
“More than 40% of women eventually diagnosed with a serious autoimmune disease have basically been told by a doctor that they��re just too concerned with their health or they’re a hypochondriac,” says Virginia Ladd, founder and executive director of the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA).

From Health.com, here are some tips on How to Get Your Doctor to Listen.

Related article: 7 Women’s Health Problems Doctors Miss

bunsofclay

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 2:47pm

I've suffered from an auto-immune disease, endometriosis, and really, my heart goes out to anyone, woman or man, who has to deal with the incomprehension that arises from dealing with an auto-immune disease, and trying to get it diagnosed and treated.

When will doctors stop and listen to their patients? It could very well be a problem with the way that the members of the medical profession are trained, and the deficiencies in their training, that leads to these problems.

Don't get me started, at least not tonight.

Having said that, I'll take my leave for the time being.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 4:54pm
Endometriosis is a tough one to deal with, even after the diagnosis! If you'll pardon my asking, how long did it take to diagnose in your case, and did you find a satisfactory treatment or some way to alleviate the pain of it?

I should probably follow your example and not get started about doctors not listening to (or perhaps not believing) their patients — but I opened this can of worms so I'm going to go ahead and cast one, lol.

As I've said here before, I have hypothyroidism which went undiagnosed for many years. I had convinced myself — with the help of a couple of doctors — that what I was experiencing was normal. When I finally found a doctor who listened and believed me, it took her less than five minutes to begin to suspect an underactive thyroid and order the blood test to confirm it. I try not to dwell on "what-ifs," but I can't help but wonder sometimes how much damage was done during those years that could have been prevented. And hypothyroidism is relatively simple to diagnose; I can't even imagine the agony that people with trickier conditions go through.

bunsofclay

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 8:49am

I have psoriasis, an auto-immune defiency that focuses on your skin. I don't have it too bad but it is noticable and very embarrassing.

I have it some behind my ears and in my scalp, though that is lessening.

The doctors have basically told me there isn't much to do about it, that it is genetic, and showed up after a traumatic event.

It does get worse with stress, and is now at the worst I have ever seen it. Not fun!