Home Remedy for Bacterial Vaginosis?

iVillage Member
Home Remedy for Bacterial Vaginosis?
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 11:45pm

Can you help please??? 

I love my OB/GYN, we have a great very open relationship....BUT, we have been working together to cure my vaginal infection for almost a year with no luck.    I have tested positive in a lab test for Gardnerella Vaginalis or  Bacterial Vaginosis.    I have taken almost 7 - 8 rounds of various antibiotics and the infection keeps coming back.    My symptoms include a white discharge with VERY foul odor -- fishy smell.

I have been reading online about this condition, and I have found a lot of advertisements about "home remedies".   Has anyone ever tried one of these with successful results?  

I'm happily married, and I have not had multiple sex partners.   I have no idea how I got BV or why it keeps coming back.  

ANY suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!    

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 1:49pm
Hi, cherfull, and welcome to the Women's Health board!

While I don't have any personal experience with bacterial vaginosis, I've been doing some research online as well, and it appears that the only "home remedy" shown to be effective in treating BV involves the use of probiotics — specifically Lactobacillus. You would still need to consult your doctor, however, because it seems this treatment works best when the probiotic is used in concert with an antibiotic. Besides, your doctor should be kept aware of treatment options you're pursuing.

Here are a couple of articles about the use of Lactobacillus in treating BV that you can print out to take along when you're discussing this
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 10:09am
Hello cherfull. I was looking up posts about vaginosis and read your comment. Have you found any remedy? I also had the same problem, except mine lasted about 2yrs. I was abstinent for the longest time because I was so afraid I'd freak someone out. The only thing that worked for me was fornicating in a hot tub. I know that sounds strange, but it worked. It's been over a month now the NO SIGNS AT ALL. I have my self esteem back and I feel like