Are you an organ donor?

iVillage Member
Are you an organ donor?
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 4:21pm

Are you an organ donor?

• Yes, and I've told my loved ones my wishes.
  • Yes, but I haven't told others about it.
  • No, and my loved ones know I don't wish to donate my organs.
  • No, for religious reasons.
  • No, but I'm thinking of changing that.
  • What is organ donation?
  • No, but I'm the recipient of a donor organ.
  • Other, please explain.

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 5:49pm

Hi, pootersmomi, and welcome to the Women's Health board! Thanks for joining in the discussion. Please feel free to stop by the board any time.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 5:44pm

Yes, I am a registered organ donor and my family is aware of my wishes. Although I am a huge supporter of organ donation, however, I think we should stick with opt-in organ donor registration rather than making "presumed consent" the default option. It seems to me that requiring people to opt-out if they don't want to donate for whatever reason is just begging for a legal challenge.

A better solution, in my view, is to make it incredibly simple to register as a voluntary donor. Here in Washington state, it is simple, but only if you're getting a driver's license or state-issued ID card. The effort to register organ donors should be more widespread, I believe.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 4:28pm
My granddaddy was an organ recipient and our next door neighbor received a new kidney and a new pancreas due to organ donation. I'm a big supporter of it.

I love to Remodel & Renovate.
Stitching is my favorite past time.
I can use all the Debt Support you can give me.

I love to Remodel & Renovate

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 4:23pm

I was just reading this article about organ donation and the efforts to change legislation to add thousands more people to donor registries.