What 'do you like...' would *you* like?

iVillage Member
What 'do you like...' would *you* like?
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 7:15pm
I've been posting "Do you like...?" polls on various foods for a while now, and although I have plenty of ideas of my own, I want to know what food and drink others are curious about.

Think you're the only one who hates cucumbers? Let's find out! Or maybe you're looking for reassurance that someone else loves rhubarb — but good luck with that one, lol!

Whatever food or beverage you're interested in, post it here and we'll add it to the list of future questions. Feel free to include possible poll responses as well, and if you have any links to articles about the health effects of what you're asking about, please pass those along too. (After all, this is the Women's Health board, lol.)

bunsofclay

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 11:26pm

Well, I've been a spinach eater (cooked and raw, by itself and as an ingredient in things Florentine, etc.) all my long life and many have expressed concern about this aberration! LO So I'm wondering if anyone else likes spinach too...

And it is a healthy food. According to this site, ounce for ounce it is the healthiest food out there!
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=43

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 10:19am
How about mangos?

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 11:42pm
I discovered this winter that I liked kale.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thanks for the idea, Carol! I just might be giving something away here, but I would place a large wager that you're not the only one who will answer that she loves spinach in any form, lol!
iVillage Member
Now, just to be clear, you mean mangos:

Photobucket

Not Mango:

Photobucket

Right? (Darn it, now I've gone and given myself a fit of giggles.)
iVillage Member
Hmmm, kale...

I'm going to remain enigmatic about that one (though it's not really a puzzle to me), but thanks for the idea, Kelly!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 10:51pm
LOL as I was wondering the same thing. My mother called green peppers mangos! LOL

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-23-2010 - 10:00am
Yes, well, now you've given me a fit of giggles too!

iVillage Member
Okay, I'm curious: What's the story behind your mother calling green peppers mangos?

When I was a teenager, I finally asked my mother why split-pea soup was called green tomato soup. She laughed and explained that it was only called that in our family. As a child, my eldest sister refused to eat split-pea soup, but when she was told it was green tomato soup, she ate it up and loved it! The name stuck, even though eventually everyone knew that green tomato soup was made with split peas.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:09pm

OK, we lived in Ohio and my Mother, from NJ, had to work within the new dialect she encountered. In order to get green bell peppers from teh market, she had to use the local terminology adn I guess she just got used to it!

According to Wikipedia:

In parts of Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, the fruit is called a "mango". The origin of this use is in the use of the term "mango" or "mangoed" to refer to pickled fruits. At a certain time, mangoes were available in the United States only in pickled form. Later, it became common in these regions to use bell peppers in pickled form, thus the term "mangoed peppers" or "mango peppers," later shortened to "mangoes."

However, she insisted that we kids use the "proper" terminology she grew up with, thereby setting us further apart from our classmates! It's no wonder I always felt like an outsider! LOL

Pages