WWN - Feb. 2: Shake the Salt Habit!

iVillage Member
WWN - Feb. 2: Shake the Salt Habit!
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 4:43am
Find out where salt is hiding in your diet, and discover five ways to spice things up and boost your health in the Feb. 2 edition of the Your Total Health Women's Wellness Newsletter. Also learn about:

â€¢ Small Ways to Save Big at the Supermarket

â€¢ The connection between a stress hormone and alcoholism

â€¢ 8 Ways to Stay Smoke-Free

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

• Pull Up a Chair At the Kitchen Table â€¢

Community Leader
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 11:19am
The "irony" is I never really used Salt at all, but it's in so much of our food...it's actually unbelievable.
Everything pretty much tells you on the Nutrition facts how much salt (Sodium) it contains, they give you the amount in milligrams and also the percentage.
Always check the label now and things I used to buy I don't anymore.
One thing I loved was alemon-salmon snack and it came with crackers but the amount of cholesterol in it is really high and also the salt (Sodium)...it was hard because I really enjoyed it but I don't buy it now.
You can't do it all at once but just cutting it back is a step toward cutting it out altogether.
<3
I love my heart!
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 2:58pm
Yes, absolutely! I can't believe how much sodium is in a lot of things. Another problem is that many people don't seem to know what a "pinch" is. I've watched cooking shows on television where the host says to add "a little bit of salt" to a dish, and then proceeds to throw in almost a handful!

I rarely use salt in my cooking, and when I do, it's a small amount. Like you said, we get enough sodium without adding it ourselves.

Do you think you could come up with your own lower-sodium version of the snack you like? Salmon is good for you, and lemon is good for you, and crackers don't have to be too bad if you can find the low sodium, lowfat type. I'm just thinking aloud.

We get most of our spices from Penzeys Spices online. They have a wonderful variety of salt-free options, including a lemon pepper they call Sunny Spain. It is delicious!

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

Community Leader
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 11:25am
Sounds like a fantastic idea...my own recipe...
Sometimes my ds and I will have salmon or tuna and lately I find we aren't adding anything to it and just have it plain either in sandwiches or on the side.
My ds is not a big fan of condiments which are sometimes loaded with both salt and sugar.
Even reducing how much you use is a big step and it can eventually lead you to cut it out altogether.
Nightangel
Nightangel