6 Signs you're in a healthy relationship

iVillage Member
6 Signs you're in a healthy relationship
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 4:27pm
From blogger Brett Blumenthal...

Our relationships are vital to our mental well-being. However, toxic relationships can really do a number on our happiness and outlook on life. As a result, it is important to look for individuals who possess qualities that allow for healthy relationships. Although, once again, not an exhaustive list, the qualities listed below are those that should be at the very heart of a healthy relationship. And, just as you would expect your friend, family member or loved one to display these qualities, it is just as important to reciprocate.

â€¢ Loyalty

â€¢ Respect

â€¢ Unconditionally There

â€¢ Trustworthy

â€¢ A Genuine Sounding Board

â€¢ Dependability

Blumenthal explains and gives examples of each trait in the full text of her blog, and then asks:

What traits do you look for in a friend or partner? Are your relationships healthy?

To those questions, I would add this: Do you believe a relationship that lacks one or more of these qualities -- on either side -- can become healthy?

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

• Pull Up a Chair At the Kitchen Table â€¢

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 8:33pm

<>

I think the most important one is the ability to listen.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 11:13pm

What traits do you look for in a friend or partner? === all of those listed, actually

Are your relationships healthy? === I think so. Few, but healthy

To those questions, I would add this: Do you believe a relationship that lacks one or more of these qualities -- on either side -- can become healthy? === Yes, if the pair int eh relationship realizes the lack and works to build on it...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

March is National Craft Month!
March 20 is National Quilting Day!
What will be your next remodeling project?
Yes, you can look stylish insweat pants!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 12:48am
I think that the majority of my relationships are healthy, yes. Thank goodness that part of growing up process for me included paring away the ones that weren't healthy.

What traits do you look for in a friend or partner?
I look for respect first. You can't have meaningful relationship if it isn't based on respect. Someone who is respectful will most probably have loyalty and trustworthiness as their personal values for a relationship.

I do not need everyone to be a genuine sounding board, to the unconditionally there or unconditionally loving to be. My closest friends are that. As as neutral as we might think we are as a sounding board, our views are coloured by our personal experiences, likes, dislikes, prejudices, etc. It would be nice if everyone were dependable, but no one is dependable 100% of the time because the world doesn't revolve around us. It's up to us to look around and see who is the most aproppriate sounding board and is available at the time we need support.

Do you believe a relationship that lacks one or more of these qualities -- on either side -- can become healthy?

People do change and thus their relationships change. Relationships can become healthy if the people who are in the relationship sincerely want to change the dynamics of it in the same direction. It's not easy, and each person has to work on it and want it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 3:48pm
How unfortunate that your friends only seem to be interested in talking. Go on and tell me more...I'm listening. ;-)

Siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 3:51pm
"Few, but healthy" could describe my relationships as well! (And I like it that way.)

Siggy

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 4:01pm
"I look for respect first. You can't have meaningful relationship if it isn't based on respect. Someone who is respectful will most probably have loyalty and trustworthiness as their personal values for a relationship."

That is so true! I can't think of anyone I know who is respectful who isn't also loyal and trustworthy. Great point!

Siggy