Am I the only one...

iVillage Member
Am I the only one...
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 8:47am

Who's terrible when it comes to getting regular check ups?  I've recently realized that it's been six or seven years since my last physical (my last visit to the doctor, come to think of it), and it's been 2 1/2 years since I last saw the GYN

Had I known DH was going to quit his job last month, I'd have made a point of getting to both!  LOL

Edited 3/21/2010 8:48 am ET by jdonahue1
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:24am
Hi!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 3:27pm
Oh heavens, no, you're not the only one! For years, I was terrible about going to the doctor. Basically, I didn't -- though I did go for an "annual" gyno exam about every three years.

Then last spring, I changed doctors. Even though I didn't have any specific complaints when I went in for my exam, my new doctor thought it would be a good idea to check my thyroid function in addition to the other routine blood tests. Lo and behold, I have hypothyroidism, and probably have had it for years.

So now I'm a convert, and I'm kicking myself for not going in for a general physical every year.

Siggy

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 3:39pm
Even though I was neglectful of getting regular physical checkups, I've always been good about going to the dentist regularly. I'm also blessed with good genes in that regard. My 89-year-old mother -- who is not as vigilant about dental care as I have been -- still has all her own teeth and has never had a cavity. I give a lot of the credit to the mineral-rich well water and farm-fresh milk we drank throughout my childhood. :-)

Good for you for getting regular checkups! I'm sorry to learn about your mother.

(((HUGS)))

Siggy

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 2:54pm
Yeah, the dentist...I've been neglecting that, too.
Community Leader
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 3:26pm

Since my heart attack almost two years ago May I definitely go.

Recentlly was diagnoses with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) so I am going a lot more regularily than I ever have.

Just thank-ful to have a doctor have been without one and it's not fun...

Since having some heart health issues my heart guy has been very pro-active when it comes to tests and blood-work.

Monitoring my medications to.

Like you going for a Pap was somewhat in the back of my mind but I finally got up the courage and my doctor said don't you think it's about time to get it and get it over with...long story but I did and still have to go for a mammogram yet.

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 10:45pm
The annual GYN was the one thing that I always used to be good about (I've had some issues with abnormal pap smears)
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 10:47pm
My one and only mammogram was around the same time as my last annual GYN visit (2 1/2 years).
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 12:55pm
It's kind of a hit-or-miss proposition, but you may be able to find a free or low-cost women's wellness screening taking place in conjunction with National Women's Health Week. Search here -- http://www.womenshealth.gov/whw/events/ -- for events in your area, and keep checking back, as events are still being added.

Siggy

NWHW Button
Community Leader
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 2:39pm

Where I live there is free mammograms for women over fifty I think.

Or if you have a referral from your doctor it is covered.

I believe all women who need/want one should be able to irregardless of their ability to pay.

It's a matter of life or death.

It's just something we can do for ourselves to be more pro-active about our health.

I am going to go a get mine...no more excuses.

<3

~hugs~

Nightangel
Nightangel
Community Leader
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 2:40pm
That's Awesome!!!
Nightangel
Nightangel