Revisions to Psychiatric Defintions

iVillage Member
Revisions to Psychiatric Defintions
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 9:53am
The way psychiatrists describe childhood mood swings, gender identity, autism and dozens of mental health disorders could soon change drastically.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is in the midst of massive revisions to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, better known as the DSM. This tome is the repository of diagnostic criteria for everything from schizophrenia to insomnia.

The implications are far-reaching, from how a disorder is named and so how it's viewed by the public to whether treatment for the disorder gets covered by health insurance. For instance, the controversy over the naming and inclusion of gender-identity issues could mean insurance companies won't pay for sex reassignment surgery or hormones for adults. And naming a disorder can be the best thing for those suffering symptoms and not knowing what they have.

The revisions for the 5th edition are sparking debate among patients, psychiatrists and the public at large. In fact, the history of psychiatry is littered with controversial psychiatric disorders.

Read the rest of this article here:

Major Revisions to Psychiatric Definitions Stir Debate

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 2:36pm
Thank you for posting that link! The LiveScience article is much better than one I read on another site. Revisions to the DSM are never without controversy, I know, but this latest update seems to be even more divisive than most.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 7:56am
You're welcome. I find the LiveScience articles to be excellent, for the most part. The main problem I have when I go to read them is being distracted by other interesting articles linked there.

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 4:18pm
Oh yes, I know what you mean about getting distracted by all the good articles on the LiveScience site. It happens to me all the time!

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health