Do you like okra?

iVillage Member
Do you like okra?
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 3:44am

Do you like okra?

• Yes, I do!
  • Only if it's cooked a certain way (tell us, please)
  • Eh, it's okay, I suppose
  • I don't really care for it, but I'll eat it
  • No, I can't stand the stuff!
  • I don't think I've ever eaten it

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 3:53am
Here is more information about this edible flowering plant, which is known by different names in various parts of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 6:31am
I LOVE okra! I hope you brought plenty along, lol.

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 3:30pm

Can't abide it...

I suppose I may have had it disguised in some gumbo but as itself, it's too slimy for my taste.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 8:20pm
I'm a Southerner, so of course I like okra! Now I could really enjoy a nice plate of fried okra.....
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 8:46pm

Yes I do!!

And now you've given me a craving for Indian food...

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:02pm
You'd better ask Sisterhoney to bring the okra, lol. I live about as far away from okra-growing country in the U.S. as anyone can be. I have never seen it fresh in grocery stores here, or even in specialty produce markets. To be perfectly honest, I think I've only eaten it two or three times.

My vote was initially "I don't really care for it, but I'll eat it," but I decided I was being a little too hard on okra, so I changed it to "Eh, it's okay, I suppose."

Do you fancy a particular method of preparing okra, or do you like it any way it's served?

bunsofclay

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:05pm
I must have been lucky in my very limited experience with okra, because I don't recall it being slimy even though I've read that is a common occurrence with it.

bunsofclay

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:24pm
How many different ways can okra be prepared? Do you like them all?

I have to tell you, two scenes are going through my mind. The first is when Bubba lists all the ways to prepare shrimp in Forrest Gump — I guess I'm hoping to hear just as many for okra. The other is from the opening of the 1960s television show Branded, when the character portrayed by Chuck Connors is booted out of the cavalry and his sword is broken before he is sent off in shame. I have a mental image of something similar happening to a Southerner who admits to not liking okra, lol.

bunsofclay

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:30pm
Well, of course you do! Don't worry, we've got a long list to get through yet, lol.

Is there a particular Indian dish with okra that you're craving?

bunsofclay

Kitchen Table tag
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 4:50pm
You can boil it, pickle it and fry it. You can also put it in gumbo and other soups. I love it fried and could eat a ton of it that way. Of course, just because I'm a Southerner it doesn't mean that I like all Southern foods. I hate collard greens.

Pages