Deadly Fungus in Oregon Likely to Spread

iVillage Member
Deadly Fungus in Oregon Likely to Spread
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 8:06am
A deadly, airborne new strain of fungus has emerged in Oregon. It has killed nearly one out of four known affected people so far and might also attack animals ranging from dogs to dolphins. And it is likely to spread, researchers now warn.

The new strain known as VGIIc of the fungus Cryptococcus gattii not only targets humans but has also proven capable of infecting dogs, cats, alpacas, sheep and elk. Other strains have even infected porpoises.

Although it can spread to mammals, it does not jump from animal to animal. Instead, people and other animals get it from inhaling spores released by samples of the fungus that infect trees.

"It's in the environment, and we're exposed to the environment," researcher Edmond Byrnes III of Duke University Medical Center told LiveScience. "And the environmental range of this has been expanding."

Read the rest of this rather chilling article here:

Deadly New Fungus Emerging in Oregon Expected to Spread

Photobucket

Still waiting for spring...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 4:49pm
As someone who lives midway between Vancouver Island and Oregon, and who enjoys walks in the woods (which are apparently filled with evil trees bent on infecting me with a deadly new fungus), I'm going to pretend I never read this. Instead, I think I'll listen to this song and go for a walk — in the killer woods, lol.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:08am
LOL! I suspected that you would take a pragmatic approach to it. I think the headline was what really caught my attention, and made me think of the enchanted forest in The Wizard of Oz, the scariest children's movie of all time.

I like that song, by the way.

Photobucket

Basking in the wonder of spring...

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 10:20pm
I agree with you about The Wizard of Oz being scary! Have you ever seen The Dark Crystal, a fantasy that Jim Henson made in the early '80s? It was marketed as a family film, but I was 20 years old when I first saw it, and it scared the living daylights out of me. Why do filmmakers think they need to traumatize children with lifelong fears in order to make a popular movie, I wonder?

I like the song, too, and it seemed so appropriate since we were talking about walking in the woods.

bunsofclay

Community Leader of Women's Health