Do you like coffee?

iVillage Member
Do you like coffee?
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:42pm

Do you like coffee?

• Yes indeed! Coffee should be its own food group
  • Yes, I like the coffee I make at home
  • Yes, and my favorite coffee shop, __________, has the best!
  • I only like it prepared one way, and that is __________
  • Coffee is okay occasionally
  • I'll drink it if it's offered, but only so as not to appear rude
  • I wouldn't say I like it, but I drink it for the health benefits (see 2nd post)
  • I don't drink coffee for religious, ethical or health reasons
  • No, I don't particularly care for coffee
  • Bitter, acidic, causes jitters...tell me, what's to like?

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:43pm
Evidence has been growing for a number of years that coffee — once considered more bad for you than good — actually has significant health benefits. Check out some of these articles:

• Going for Gold? Caffeine May Boost Athletic Performance (iVillage Health, June 30, 2010)

• Coffee's Mysterious Benefits Mount (LiveScience, June 22, 2010)

• Coffee: Is It Healthier Than You Think? (Health.com, June 4, 2010)

• Coffee and health: What does the research say? (MayoClinic.com, May 6, 2010)

• Coffee Health Benefits: Coffee may protect against disease (Harvard Health Letter, February 2006)

• Coffee: The New Health Food? (WebMD, Jan. 26, 2004)

Whether you drink coffee or not, was your decision affected by any health consideration? If so, what effect did the health consideration have?

My sister never cared for coffee and never drank it until she was struggling to find relief from recurrent migraine headaches. Her doctor told her that some of his patients found that having two cups of coffee a day, every day, prevented migraines. She tried it and has been a coffee drinker ever since. And yes, her migraine headaches did stop.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 12:30am
wasn't even considering my health when i started drinking coffee - but glad to find out it has more benefits than originally thought!

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”
-Mark Twain

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 10:55pm

I said for health benefits but really, I drink it to wake up, pure and simple and for me that is a health benefit.

I have always said that if coffee tasted as good as it smelled or as good as coffee ice cream, I'd love it. But it doesn't...

I started drinking coffee when I worked in San Francisco and had to be at the bus stop a 6AM and ordering a coke from the roach coach was impossible at 7AM! Now I'm a caffeine addict and MUST have my one cup a day (I at least dropped to only that) to prevent my headaches!

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 10:24am

I love love love a nice cup of coffee. BUT (because it wouldn't be interesting if there were no buts hee hee hee), I never make coffee at home unless it's for a guest. SOs have learned that if they want coffee they have to make it. They've also learned that I need to be awake for at least an hour before my first cup.

In the five years since I've come back, the only time I've drunk coffee on a daily basis was when someone was in the hospital and I was staying overnight.

Oh, I had civet coffee the other day :-p

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 4:45pm

I can't get past the smell and taste of it. It's just
Yuck to me. I've worked in bakeries where there was
always a pot of coffee on, and I was never tempted. I
lived in Kona for six years and it was horrible when
they roasted the beans. Smelled like they were burning
down the island.

But hey, you're welcome to enjoy yours.

font-size: 14pt;">Susan

Photobucket
Photobucket

dietbudspowinners.gif

PhotobucketlifeispainPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

font-size: 12pt;">
organic tag created by Erin
(Wickedcupofjoe)
PhotobucketPhotobucketinvisible-yellow-cap

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 11:10pm
I usually drink two cups/day.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 4:49pm
I love coffee, in any form. Drip, French press, espresso, cold brew — you name it, I like it. So, yes, I think coffee should be its own food group, lol!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 4:50pm
It's always nice to find out that something you enjoy is actually good for you, isn't it?
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 4:57pm
Do you remember Coffee Nips hard candies? I loved those as a kid! That was the first indication, lol...

Ah, the dreaded caffeine withdrawal headache! I've been known to suffer from those a time or two as well. As much as I love coffee, I cut it out for a few days once in a while to stave off that dependency. It seems to work for the most part.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 5:08pm
Civet coffee, eh? I've never had that. Is it good?

We were watching The Bucket List a while back, and Jack Nicholson's character was obsessed with the stuff until Morgan Freeman explained the special "processing" secret to him. It was pretty funny.

But we probably shouldn't talk about it too much, or else Amy will get that "queasy" face, lol. emoticon

Pages