JULY'S BOOK OF THE MONTH IS "Rhapsody...

iVillage Member
JULY'S BOOK OF THE MONTH IS "Rhapsody...
Mon, 06-25-2001 - 3:49pm

JULY'S BOOK OF THE MONTH IS "Rhapsody: Child of Blood" by Elizabeth Haydon (m)

Hi, all. It looks like Rhapsody beat out Firebird by a couple of votes. If you still want to read Firebird, be sure to nominate it again when the time comes. I'll be posting a "time to nominate" post in the next week or so.

For those of you who weren't part of the voting process, please feel free to jump right in and join us as we read and discuss this book for July! The more the merrier, as they say. July's only a week a way (OMG, how did that happen so fast?), so order this book, or go to the library or bookstore...whatever you have to do. Just go get it and start reading!

Hugs, Elliana

P.S. I've pasted the book info and link to Amazon again, for those who may be interested:

Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon

Rhapsody, a young woman trained as a Namer, can attune herself to the vibrations of all things, tap the power of true names, and rename people, changing their basic identities. Her magic lies in music: "Music is nothing more than the maps through the vibrations that make up all the world. If you have the right map, it will take you wherever you want to go," she tells her adoptive brothers. They are "the Brother," a professional assassin able to sense and track the heartbeats of all natives of the doomed Island of Seren, their homeland, and his giant sidekick Grunthor, a green-skinned Sergeant Major who enjoys making jokes, using edged weapons, and honing his cannibalistic palate. Inadvertently, Rhapsody has renamed the Brother Achmed the Snake, breaking his enslavement to Tsoltan the F'dor (a fire-born demon). Tsoltan sends minions in pursuit to rebind Achmed. The three escape into the roots of a World Tree, Sagia, emerging transformed into another country and century. But have they truly escaped the F'dor's evil? And how does all this relate to the prologue's story of Gwydion and Emily, two young lovers brought together across history and then separated by the mysterious Meridion?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0812570812/reviews/ref=pd_ir_b/002-9368868-3571229

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2001 - 9:03pm

Just picked it up! I'm ready to go for July! (m)

I'm taking a few days off the second week of July, too, so I should get some good reading time in this month! Woo hoo! I need a break!

-Elliana

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-26-2001 - 12:52am

I bought this when it first came out, and just couldn't get into it (more)

In fact, I started it and put it down after about five chapters, twice! Let's see how far I can get this time around, LOL.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-26-2001 - 10:30am

Already read it and Sequel! Loved 'em! Last part due out in August! n/t

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Wed, 06-27-2001 - 12:32am

checked it out from the library...yeah. nt

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-27-2001 - 8:08pm

Awesome! That's great news! nt

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-30-2001 - 6:02am

I'm going to have to go with Kathi on this one. . .

(Kathi Kamen Goldmark's review on jacket back flap). My whole day was spent reading! Even though I have a huge party at my house to get ready for (today!), I still had to finish the book!

I'm very glad to know there is a sequel. My library has Prophecy and is planning on buying Destiny.

Question: How does the book club work? When does it start? etc. . .

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-30-2001 - 6:03am

I'm done, now what? I'm going to have to go with Kathi on this one. . .

(Kathi Kamen Goldmark's review on jacket back flap). My whole day was spent reading! Even though I have a huge party at my house to get ready for (today!), I still had to finish the book!

I'm very glad to know there is a sequel. My library has Prophecy and is planning on buying Destiny.

Question: How does the book club work? When does it start? etc. . .

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-30-2001 - 6:06am

can you delete this one?

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-30-2001 - 6:15am

Question (possible spoiler)

Prophecy should be about Rhapsody and Ashe's journey according to the ending of Rhapsody: Child of Blood. However, the "Child of Earth" part makes me think it is about Grunthor. Please tell me which it is!

Please, please, please!

(I feel sorry for Jo when Rhapsody finally figures out who Ashe is!)

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-30-2001 - 3:31pm

Well, I shouldn't really tell you but..........m

it doesn't really center around Grunthor. No one but us has figured out who Ashe really is. In the beginning they meet up with the great dragon Elynosnos (sp). They still don't know who the rhakshas is.

Deb

Pages