How to deal with a difficult -worker

iVillage Member
How to deal with a difficult -worker
Sat, 01-24-2004 - 8:25pm
I have just joined a small private company after several years at a large fortune 500 company. There is very little structure at this new company and I can handle that, but ther is one person who is not very nice to deal with. Her duties include Management Information Systems but she oversees most of the headquarters operations. She is very involved in cost control area and is really very good at what she does. She will get into the operations area and will critique how my colleagues and I are doing our jobs. She voice mails us if she sees an issue and copies a list of corporate people. She makes comments and infers that we are not doing our best and constantly states: " I want to make a bonus and the operations just are'nt where they should be!" She has the ear of the owners and is personally friendly with them but she is so unprofessional. I have tried complimenting her on her performance, voice mailing thank yous for her help and cc'ing the owners and it just gets worse. On top of all of that she is a real 'brown nose', saying things about others to me and things about me to others. Her life is her job and that is really all that she has. I can understand that issue and can see why she is the way that she is. All of that being said, I am the new guy and am trying to fit in.

How do I get 'one up' on this type of personality?
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2004 - 5:06pm
In reply to jt531. I could care less about this persons personal life. She goes areound telling everyone how this is "my whole life" and "I work 7 days a week". Well, that is great but having been at that stage in my life before I learned that life balance is very important and when you get that focused on only your job you are in for problems. Also I have over 25 years experience in this position. Finally, if she were to come and say: "hey, I just wanted to give you a quick heads up....", that would be one thing. When she e-mails or voice mails everyone and their brother with something like: "you won't believe this but...." her intentions have got to be questioned. I believe that the direct approach through channels is the only way to go. Say what you mean...mean what you say. Trying to diminish someone else because of your own inadequacies is NOT PROFESSIONAL! Bad mouthing people behind their backs is NON PROFESSIONAL. Tattle Tailing to superiors is not the way to go either...frank and honest communication is the only way to be a true PROFESSIONAL. There are many people I have not cared for but as a professional I do not and will not show that emotion. Also, jt731, I do not get into office gossip...that is why I sought help on this message board. I did not want to get involved with others in the office, that would put me at the same level.
Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Sun, 01-25-2004 - 5:45pm
You should sketch out what your goals are and how you plan to achieve them for the next 6 months. or whatever time frame. You should then try to have an audience with these people that she cc's so that they can meet you and tell you directly what their expectations are as well as have a chance to form their own openion of you.

After that, try to have lunch with this woman and chat as well about your and her goals and how you both can achieve them.

Hopefully, after that she will soften her approach.

Right now is a very good time to meet the people in other departmetns that you serve since you are the new kid on the block.

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Sun, 01-25-2004 - 5:55pm
"Her life is her job and that is really all that she has. I can understand that issue and can see why she is the way that she is."

I guess the other poster has demonstrated indirectly how dangerous it is to give out extraneous information about your concerns. People will grab on to one remark and tell you, because of that remark, they can see that the problem is all in your head.

Be careful how you outline a problem and stick to the actions and not to any personal perceptions (even if they may be correct.)

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Tue, 01-27-2004 - 3:45am
I hope you do take the time to meet other people in the company and chat over their expectations. It's a very productive thing to do both when times are good and when times are bad.