the best toy

iVillage Member
the best toy
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 10:32am

http://media.www.navigatornews.org/media/storage/paper567/news/2008/12/01/OnlineExclusives/Stick.Follows.Box.Into.Toy.Hall.Of.Fame-3563997.shtml

the stick was inducted into the toy hall of fame which IMO is a great reminder to us all that often the best toys are the simplest. Sometimes it is easy to loose sight of in a commercial society though so I thought I would share since I am sure I am not teh only one looking at a frugal Christmas. \

So nay tips on what toys get the most milage for your buck?

Photobucket
Follow me to the Unplanned Pregnancy board!Follow me to Hot Debates!Follow me to Abortion Debate!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_misa101
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 1:35pm

Legos are great... my youngest has a huge box of them, some he received but a lot of them passed down from his older siblings. He's also used them to build models for school projects, so I suspect we'll have them around for years to come! LOL

Twister is popular with my family, too...although I tend to be the spinner most of the time, so I can point and laugh! ;-) We love Yahtzee, too

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 1:04pm

I am back without the hat (sorry bout that)

I love getting games. I know we got chess and checkers this year and Skip-Bo which is a card game that DH hates playing cause I Always win :)

I love buying kids lego because they get years worth of play time out of em. I even used mine in high school to make models for projects.

I hear Twister is making a come back. I love that game, well at least until someone farts lol

Photobucket
Follow me to the Unplanned Pregnancy board!Follow me to Hot Debates!Follow me to Abortion Debate!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 12:50pm

"often the best toys are the simplest"

Oh, I so totally agree! The article mentioned that the box had made it to the hall of fame last year, too. I've never seen a baby that wouldn't pass up the toy and spend hours playing with the box it came in! Things that encourage the use of imagination will always rate high with kids, especially if you can tweak their creative thoughts early on. (I remember building tunnels and mazes out of the huge cardboard boxes that appliances were shipped in.) Unfortunately, it's often all too easy to just rely on electronic games and toys which often come with a hefty price tag.

Books are big in my family, too. You can find some great books for all ages at a second hand book store. Some will even take trade-ins; you can swap the paperbacks you've already read for credit toward others.

Every year, we include a board game or two