My sons baby is 2 months old..and..

iVillage Member
My sons baby is 2 months old..and..
Fri, 12-19-2008 - 7:48pm

My son got laid off.  I can't' deal with the WORRY for them.  I just e-mailed them some information for the Family Independence Program in our area (Welfare).  Its making them fight...Its awful.

I can't keep giving them money...it is draining me and my account!

These economic times are dreadful....and keeping me up at night.

They could always move back in here...but I don't WANT that...my cellar is not in "healthy" living condition for a small child....and they basically abused their right to stay here in the last 2 years.  I kicked them out in Sept...and my HOUSE suffered for it...busted doors and holes in walls....My older son is a very ANGRY kid....but when his baby was born there was a BIG change in him and he had a job....which he got laid off from and now he is in DEEP depression.

It is snowing heavily right now and he is out shoveling to make money for food.

My heart bleeds for them and anyone else who can not make ends meet in these times.

Missy
Missy
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-29-2008 - 1:57am
This is tough situation. I offer my support.
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-28-2008 - 1:30am

#1 Your son and daughter in law need to apply for food stamps, medicaid and temporary assistance.

#2 You should NOT be funding them.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-26-2008 - 7:50pm

It's very difficult to see those you love suffer. A few things from your post- I don't think you should allow them to come stay w/ you. The holes in the wall, etc show a great disrespect of that right. Also, if you enable them to continue on this path,it will never get better. I do respect him going out shoveling for money. I also think that you should not give money. If you want to buy diapers, of baby food, that is one thing, but I'd not make yourself a "resource" if your own accounts are dwindling. You could make good suggestions or help in ways like babysitting so the girl can go make some money. However, do NOT babysit for free. It would good for them to pay at least "something" toward the expense.

Ideas- she could get a FAST job in telemarketing, or put up ads for housecleaning jobs. She could also babysit 1-2 kids. These are FAST hire jobs. Your son can sign on with Manpower or Kelly Services and be working tomorrow. Yes, it will be crappy jobs and pay minimum wage, BUT it's something. They should apply for food stamps right away. Also, he can get unemployment in the interim. Additional expenses should be cut: no cell phones, no cable TV, etc. This is advice you can offer.

I hope things work out for you and them.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2008 - 12:34pm

Sorry to hear that your DS is having a hard time of it all. I think you did right by sending them info about places that can help them get back on their feet and your DS is at least showing some initiative with the shoveling.

P&PT for your family

Melisa

Photobucket
Follow me to the Unplanned Pregnancy board!Follow me to Hot Debates!Follow me to Abortion Debate!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-21-2008 - 4:04pm

My son does mostly anything.

Missy
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 9:07am
Missy, I'm so sorry to hear this.