saying funny "s" now.....

iVillage Member
saying funny "s" now.....
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 2:50pm

ok, heres the deal. friend of my son is 5.8yo. his speech is fine, but lately he started saying some of his /s/'s in a funny slurring kind of way. (think peter brady, the brady bunch, staying "pork chops and apple sauce" or am i just dating myself!) it almost sounds like a sh, instead of a s. anyway, i have the speech delayed kid on the block so she asked me what i think. i have no idea so i am asking you :) seems to me that it is fun for him, and he is just playing with sounds because he doesnt do it all the time. so....whats your take? and what should she do to discourage it (if anything at all)?

thanks very much for your time!
hilary

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 3:33pm

Hi there,

At his age it is common for a child to have what we call a lisp (which occurs with the /s/ and/or /z/ sound).

Harmony 

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 3:56pm

thanks fr getting back to me so quickly! i will let the mom know. i am sure the school will not eval, they dropped my older son from a 504 as they are getting away from those if its just an artic issue.

to clarify, this is a lisp that only just started, he was not doing it 2 weeks ago, its still something that comes on, seemingly out of hte blue? speech is a weird wacky thing, aint it?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2007 - 6:46pm

Lisps can appear like this.

Harmony